Blackie Co-operative Association

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

Blackie Co-operative Association

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

The Blackie Co-operative Association Limited was incorporated in Blackie, Alberta 1915. Its leading proponent and first manager was O.W. Bowlus, a local farmer and surveyor. A store was built almost immediately, selling lumber, hardware, and petroleum products. It was destroyed by fire in 1926, but was rebuilt and expanded with the purchase of a neighboring hardware store. A larger new store was built in 1976, but because of the declining number of farms in the Blackie district, it was not sustainable, and ceased operations in 1979. The building was rented out but was not sold until 2002. The sale of the building enabled the Co-op to disband and distribute its assets to its members.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Museum of the Highwood

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places