Fonds 0150 - Blooming Valley School District 3912 fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Blooming Valley School District 3912 fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title of fonds based on contents.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA GPR 0150

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1930-1953 (Creation)
    Creator
    Blooming Valley School District 3912

Physical description area

Physical description

0.2 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1920-1953)

Administrative history

Blooming Valley School opened in 1920, in a vacant bachelor shack, with Talbert Ronning from Valhalla as the first teacher. The school house was built in 1921 on SW 3-75-9 W6 through community effort. Mrs. Mills was the first teacher in the new school. Later a barn was added. Through the 1930s, school district minutes show the school could only afford to operate for 4-6 months at a time and tax levies often went unpaid or were paid by doing work such as cleaning or repairing the school house. At its height, there were 24 children at Blooming Valley School, but in 1953 only 6 children remained enrolled so the school was closed and the children bussed to Valhalla. Teachers at Blooming Valley included Ada Fuller, Jessie Erskine, Dorothy Peck, Ardys Allan, Florence Smith, Myrtle Johnson, Anne Hrehircheck, Vera Ruptash, Cora Ventress, Ruby Fredrickson, Judith Erickson, Alice Pfau, Ralph Cook, Rae Dolemo, Belle Stewart Wallace and Vera Severson.

Custodial history

The records were donated to the Grande Prairie Regional Archives by Mildred Carlstad, in 2003. Her husband, Alvin Carlstad was a trustee when the school closed in 1953.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of 18 pages of minutes of the Blooming Valley School District including decisions for payments made, dates for school terms, taxes levied, names of trustees elected, and an accounts payable page for Miss J. Erskine.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

The records were donated to the Grande Prairie Regional Archives by Mildred Carlstad, in 2003. Her husband, Alvin Carlstad was a trustee when the school closed in 1953.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No accruals expected

Alpha-numeric designations

Accession number: 2003.23

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

0150

Institution identifier

South Peace Regional Archives

Rules or conventions

Level of detail

Partial

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres