Title and statement of responsibility area
Buffalo Lakes Community Society fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title of fonds based on contents.
Level of description
CA GPR 0536
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1917, 1946-1999 (Creation)
- Buffalo Lakes Community Society
Physical description area
17.5 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Buffalo Lakes Community Society was started in 1946 to take over management of the community hall. The first Buffalo Lakes Hall was built in 1918 with the local chapter of the United Farmers of Alberta in charge of care and upkeep. Following the UFA, the Bear Lakes Athletic Association was in charge of the hall until the formation of the Community Club in 1946.
In the 1950s a second hall was built on the south-west corner of S.E. 4-74-7-W6. The Buffalo Lakes Community had a very active group of volunteers and because of that they were able to organize many events such as dances, bazaars and picnics. Members included Bill Student, Pete Pol, Alex Christensen, Graham McFarlane, Margaret Eady, Mrs. Rolfstad, Danny Sommerville, George Yates, Helen Student, Pete Ganzeveld, A. Donnison, Bob Smith and Donald Hoggarth.
In 1989 the Buffalo Lakes Community Society began to raise funds, mostly from businesses, to install indoor plumbing and sewage into the hall. Later that year, they were successful in receiving a grant from the Recreation, Parks and Wildlife Foundation.
The records were donated by Paul Gerow after a meeting held by the Buffalo Lakes Community Society in November 2009. At their meeting it was voted that the records be donated to the Archives. The most recent financial records have been retained by the Society.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of records relating to the management of the Buffalo Lakes Community Society from 1946-1999. The fonds is divided into seven series based on type and content: Minutes, Financial Records, Annual Returns, Legal Papers, Insurance Records, Correspondence, and Photographs.
Most of the records were not arranged upon arrival and an order by date and record type has been established by the archivist.
Immediate source of acquisition
The records were donated to the South Peace Regional Archives by Paul Gerow on April 7, 2010.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
A finding aid is located at http://southpeacearchives.org/finding-aids/fonds-536-buffalo-lakes-community-society/
No accruals are expected.
Accession number 2010.20
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
South Peace Regional Archives
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Language of description