Buffalo Lakes Ladies Club

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Buffalo Lakes Ladies Club

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

  • Many Springs Auxiliary

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1942-1996

History

The Buffalo Lakes Community Club was informally organized on June 5, 1942 by members of the Many Springs community, and was first named Many Springs Auxiliary. Its purpose was to work for the war effort and keep in touch with the boys in the services during World War II. The first project was sewing and knitting items for a bazaar to be held after harvest to raise money for the boys’ Christmas parcels. Regular monthly meetings were held in the homes of members, while bazaars and social evenings were held in the Buffalo Lakes Hall. Barn dances in the barns of Bill Pol and Fred Collette were popular events. The club enjoyed wide community support for their activities, and in August 1945 it was re-organized as the Many Springs Community Club. The executive from the previous club was retained: Mrs. Student, president; Mrs. Floen, vice president; Mrs. Bekkerus, secretary; and Mrs. J. Ganzeveld, treasurer.
After the war, the emphasis of the club changed to community support and activities. A Sunshine Committee visited the sick. The ladies held quilting bees, mended and patched used clothing collected during clothing drives, and handcrafted items for their yearly sale. The club served as a social club where visitors and newcomers were made welcome, and each war bride in the area was presented with a set of sheets and embroidered pillowcases. They sponsored community events such as Father’s Day Picnics and farewells to families leaving the community. Bazaars, quilt raffles, card parties, dances and bingos were organized to raise money for organizations such as Red Cross, the Sexsmith W.I. Rest Room, the Kinsmen Club, Pioneer Lodge, Grace Children’s Home, Christmas gifts for the children, upkeep on the old community hall, and later money to build the new hall. As well, the ladies served as the auxiliary for other community groups such as the Athletic Club.
In time the name of the club was changed to the Buffalo Lakes Ladies Club, and in the late 1990s the club amalgamated with the Agricultural Society to become the Buffalo Lakes Community Society.

Places

Buffalo Lakes, Alberta

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Related entity

Buffalo Lakes Community Society (1946-present)

Identifier of the related entity

SPRA-0536

Category of the relationship

temporal

Type of relationship

Buffalo Lakes Community Society

is the successor of

Buffalo Lakes Ladies Club

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

In the late 1990s the Buffalo Lakes Ladies Club amalgamated with the Agricultural Society to become the Buffalo Lakes Community Society.

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

SPRA-0537

Institution identifier

South Peace Regional Archives

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Final

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Description created by TD on April 9, 2015.

Language(s)

  • English

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places