Fonds 0537 - Buffalo Lakes Ladies Club fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Buffalo Lakes Ladies Club fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title of fonds based on contents.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA GPR 0537

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1945-1996 (Creation)
    Creator
    Buffalo Lakes Ladies Club

Physical description area

Physical description

9.5 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1942-1996)

Administrative history

The Buffalo Lakes Community Club was informally organized on June 5, 1942 by members of the Many Springs community, and was first named Many Springs Auxiliary. Its purpose was to work for the war effort and keep in touch with the boys in the services during World War II. The first project was sewing and knitting items for a bazaar to be held after harvest to raise money for the boys’ Christmas parcels. Regular monthly meetings were held in the homes of members, while bazaars and social evenings were held in the Buffalo Lakes Hall. Barn dances in the barns of Bill Pol and Fred Collette were popular events. The club enjoyed wide community support for their activities, and in August 1945 it was re-organized as the Many Springs Community Club. The executive from the previous club was retained: Mrs. Student, president; Mrs. Floen, vice president; Mrs. Bekkerus, secretary; and Mrs. J. Ganzeveld, treasurer.
After the war, the emphasis of the club changed to community support and activities. A Sunshine Committee visited the sick. The ladies held quilting bees, mended and patched used clothing collected during clothing drives, and handcrafted items for their yearly sale. The club served as a social club where visitors and newcomers were made welcome, and each war bride in the area was presented with a set of sheets and embroidered pillowcases. They sponsored community events such as Father’s Day Picnics and farewells to families leaving the community. Bazaars, quilt raffles, card parties, dances and bingos were organized to raise money for organizations such as Red Cross, the Sexsmith W.I. Rest Room, the Kinsmen Club, Pioneer Lodge, Grace Children’s Home, Christmas gifts for the children, upkeep on the old community hall, and later money to build the new hall. As well, the ladies served as the auxiliary for other community groups such as the Athletic Club.
In time the name of the club was changed to the Buffalo Lakes Ladies Club, and in the late 1990s the club amalgamated with the Agricultural Society to become the Buffalo Lakes Community Society.

Custodial history

Two of the books were purchased from the Salvation Army Thrift Store by Nellie Sterr, and a third was given to her at a later date. In 2003, Mrs. Sterr donated them to the South Peace Regional Archives. A second donation in 2010 was brought in by Paul Gerow with papers from the Buffalo Lakes Community Club. This donation also contained records from the Curling Association and the Buffalo Lakes New Horizon Group.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of six minute books created after the August 1945 re-organization of the Buffalo Lakes Ladies Club. The minutes include records of monthly and annual meetings, lists of members, financial statements, financial ledgers which show the monthly activities, and documents relating to events which the club organized.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Associated materials

Accruals

No accruals are expected.

Alpha-numeric designations

Accession numbers 2003.13 and 2010.20

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

0537

Institution identifier

South Peace Regional Archives

Rules or conventions

Level of detail

Partial

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres