Forme autorisée du nom
Buffalo Lakes Ladies Club
Forme(s) parallèle(s) du nom
Forme(s) du nom normalisée(s) selon d'autres conventions
Autre(s) forme(s) du nom
- Many Springs Auxiliary
Numéro d'immatriculation des collectivités
Zone de description
The Buffalo Lakes Community Club was informally organized on June 5, 1942 by members of the Many Springs community, and was first named Many Springs Auxiliary. Its purpose was to work for the war effort and keep in touch with the boys in the services during World War II. The first project was sewing and knitting items for a bazaar to be held after harvest to raise money for the boys’ Christmas parcels. Regular monthly meetings were held in the homes of members, while bazaars and social evenings were held in the Buffalo Lakes Hall. Barn dances in the barns of Bill Pol and Fred Collette were popular events. The club enjoyed wide community support for their activities, and in August 1945 it was re-organized as the Many Springs Community Club. The executive from the previous club was retained: Mrs. Student, president; Mrs. Floen, vice president; Mrs. Bekkerus, secretary; and Mrs. J. Ganzeveld, treasurer.
After the war, the emphasis of the club changed to community support and activities. A Sunshine Committee visited the sick. The ladies held quilting bees, mended and patched used clothing collected during clothing drives, and handcrafted items for their yearly sale. The club served as a social club where visitors and newcomers were made welcome, and each war bride in the area was presented with a set of sheets and embroidered pillowcases. They sponsored community events such as Father’s Day Picnics and farewells to families leaving the community. Bazaars, quilt raffles, card parties, dances and bingos were organized to raise money for organizations such as Red Cross, the Sexsmith W.I. Rest Room, the Kinsmen Club, Pioneer Lodge, Grace Children’s Home, Christmas gifts for the children, upkeep on the old community hall, and later money to build the new hall. As well, the ladies served as the auxiliary for other community groups such as the Athletic Club.
In time the name of the club was changed to the Buffalo Lakes Ladies Club, and in the late 1990s the club amalgamated with the Agricultural Society to become the Buffalo Lakes Community Society.
Buffalo Lakes, Alberta
Fonctions et activités
Textes de référence
Zone des relations
Zone des points d'accès
Mots-clés - Sujets
Mots-clés - Lieux
Zone du contrôle
Identifiant de la notice d'autorité
Identifiant du service d'archives
South Peace Regional Archives
Règles et/ou conventions utilisées
Niveau de détail
Dates de production, de révision et de suppression
Description created by TD on April 9, 2015.