Fonds crha-2034 - Calgary Board of Health fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Calgary Board of Health fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of records.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA crha crha-2034

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1899-1995 (Creation)
    Creator
    Calgary Board of Health

Physical description area

Physical description

6.5 m of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

In 1884 Calgary City Council created a Market and Health Committee, responsible for sanitation, public scales and the removal of dead animals from city streets. In 1897 By- Law 332 enabled City Council to appoint Health Officers, responsible for preventing the spread of disease by all means necessary. The Public Health Act of Alberta was passed in 1907, and a Provincial Board of Health was established which oversaw the operations of local health boards. In 1909 Calgary's Market and Health Committee was replaced by the Local Board of Health, the city's first permanent Medical Officer of Health was appointed, and the provincial Minister of Health approved the establishment of a City Health Department. The City Health Department established a pure milk station for malnourished babies in 1913, and in 1921 several well-baby clinics were created in different city districts. The City of Calgary Health Department expanded its public health programs to include immunization, communicable disease control and prevention, food establishment testing, family planning, health education and school nursing services. Until 1973 the City Health Department and the Local Board of Health were arms of the municipal government. The Department reported, through the Medical Officer of Health, to the Local Board, which received one third of its funding from the City of Calgary and consisted of the Mayor, the Chief Engineer, the Medical Officer of Health, and three members appointed from the community. The Local Board was not active and met infrequently. However, in 1973 the Public Health Act was amended so that the province provided all funding to all local boards of health. This separated the Local Board of Health and the City Department of Health from the City of Calgary, and established the Local Board as an independent corporate body. In 1977, Bill 21 amended Section 32 of the Public Health Act, changing the structure of the Calgary and Edmonton Local Boards of Health. The Calgary Local Board of Health now included a representative from City Council, the Medical Officer of Health (non-voting), and eight voting members from the community. In 1986, the Calgary Local Board of Health was renamed the Calgary Board of Health. The Board was still responsible for the work of its operational arm, Calgary Health Services. Following the passing of the Health Authorities Act in 1994, the Calgary Board of Health's responsibility for public health was transferred to the Calgary Regional Health Authority. The Board was dissolved by an Order in Council from the Minister of Health on February 21, 1995.

Custodial history

These records were transferred from Calgary Health Services, the operational arm of the Calgary Board of Health, in May 1996. They were stored at the Bow Valley Centre until April 1997, when they were transferred to the CRHA Archives at the Colonel Belcher Hospital.

Scope and content

This fonds includes Board records 1933-1995, administrative records 1899-1983 and records related to public health programs 1933-1994. The bulk of these records dates from the 1970s on.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Restrictions are noted within the series descriptions.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Inventory available.

Associated materials

Dozens of artifacts were donated with the records of the Board.

Related materials

Accruals

Some accruals to this fonds are likely.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Level of detail

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres