Fonds crha-2034 - Calgary Board of Health fonds

Zone du titre et de la mention de responsabilité

Titre propre

Calgary Board of Health fonds

Dénomination générale des documents

Titre parallèle

Compléments du titre

Mentions de responsabilité du titre

Notes du titre

  • Source du titre propre: Title based on contents of records.

Niveau de description

Fonds

Cote

CA crha crha-2034

Zone de l'édition

Mention d'édition

Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition

Zone des précisions relatives à la catégorie de documents

Mention d'échelle (cartographique)

Mention de projection (cartographique)

Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)

Mention d'échelle (architecturale)

Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)

Zone des dates de production

Date(s)

  • 1899-1995 (Production)
    Producteur
    Calgary Board of Health

Zone de description matérielle

Description matérielle

6.5 m of textual records

Zone de la collection

Titre propre de la collection

Titres parallèles de la collection

Compléments du titre de la collection

Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection

Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection

Note sur la collection

Zone de la description archivistique

Nom du producteur

Notice biographique

In 1884 Calgary City Council created a Market and Health Committee, responsible for sanitation, public scales and the removal of dead animals from city streets. In 1897 By- Law 332 enabled City Council to appoint Health Officers, responsible for preventing the spread of disease by all means necessary. The Public Health Act of Alberta was passed in 1907, and a Provincial Board of Health was established which oversaw the operations of local health boards. In 1909 Calgary's Market and Health Committee was replaced by the Local Board of Health, the city's first permanent Medical Officer of Health was appointed, and the provincial Minister of Health approved the establishment of a City Health Department. The City Health Department established a pure milk station for malnourished babies in 1913, and in 1921 several well-baby clinics were created in different city districts. The City of Calgary Health Department expanded its public health programs to include immunization, communicable disease control and prevention, food establishment testing, family planning, health education and school nursing services. Until 1973 the City Health Department and the Local Board of Health were arms of the municipal government. The Department reported, through the Medical Officer of Health, to the Local Board, which received one third of its funding from the City of Calgary and consisted of the Mayor, the Chief Engineer, the Medical Officer of Health, and three members appointed from the community. The Local Board was not active and met infrequently. However, in 1973 the Public Health Act was amended so that the province provided all funding to all local boards of health. This separated the Local Board of Health and the City Department of Health from the City of Calgary, and established the Local Board as an independent corporate body. In 1977, Bill 21 amended Section 32 of the Public Health Act, changing the structure of the Calgary and Edmonton Local Boards of Health. The Calgary Local Board of Health now included a representative from City Council, the Medical Officer of Health (non-voting), and eight voting members from the community. In 1986, the Calgary Local Board of Health was renamed the Calgary Board of Health. The Board was still responsible for the work of its operational arm, Calgary Health Services. Following the passing of the Health Authorities Act in 1994, the Calgary Board of Health's responsibility for public health was transferred to the Calgary Regional Health Authority. The Board was dissolved by an Order in Council from the Minister of Health on February 21, 1995.

Historique de la conservation

These records were transferred from Calgary Health Services, the operational arm of the Calgary Board of Health, in May 1996. They were stored at the Bow Valley Centre until April 1997, when they were transferred to the CRHA Archives at the Colonel Belcher Hospital.

Portée et contenu

This fonds includes Board records 1933-1995, administrative records 1899-1983 and records related to public health programs 1933-1994. The bulk of these records dates from the 1970s on.

Zone des notes

État de conservation

Source immédiate d'acquisition

Classement

Langue des documents

Écriture des documents

Localisation des originaux

Disponibilité d'autres formats

Restrictions d'accès

Restrictions are noted within the series descriptions.

Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication

Instruments de recherche

Inventory available.

Éléments associés

Dozens of artifacts were donated with the records of the Board.

Éléments associés

Accroissements

Some accruals to this fonds are likely.

Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

Zone du numéro normalisé

Numéro normalisé

Mots-clés

Mots-clés - Sujets

Mots-clés - Lieux

Mots-clés - Noms

Mots-clés - Genre

Zone du contrôle

Identifiant de la description du document

Identifiant du service d'archives

Règles ou conventions

Niveau de détail

Langue de la description

Langage d'écriture de la description

Sources

Zone des entrées

Sujets associés

Personnes et organismes associés

Lieux associés

Genres associés