Title and statement of responsibility area
Calgary Normal School collection
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of collection.
Level of description
CA UOFC uofc-74
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1906-1907, 1921, 1923-1950 (Creation)
- Calgary Normal School
Physical description area
37 cm of textual records and other material
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Normal School, which offered a teacher-training programme, commenced classes in the Central School in Calgary in 1906, and moved to a new building at 6th Street W. and 4th Avenue in 1908. The School was renamed Calgary Normal School in 1913, and in 1922 it moved from the centre of the city to the third floor of the Provincial Institute of Technology and Arts' west wing. In 1939 the School was temporarily moved to the King Edward School but in 1946 it was moved back to the "Tech". In 1945 teacher-training schools in Alberta were integrated into the Faculty of Education of the University of Alberta in Edmonton. The Calgary Normal School became the Calgary Branch of the Faculty of Education of the University of Alberta and offered the first two years of a Bachelor of Education degree. George J. Bryan was the School's first principal and served from 1906 to 1909. Subsequent incumbents were W.H. Thompson (1909-1911); E.W. Coffin, Acting Principal (1911-1912); W.G. Carpenter (1912-?); Ernest W. Coffin (1936-1939); William Harper Swift (1940-1942); Gerald Manning (1943-1946); Dr. Clarence Sansom, Director (1946-1947); and A.L. Doucette, Director of Calgary Branch, (1947-1961).
Choir photographs were donated by Marilyn Jensen, daughter of music teacher.
Scope and content
Consists of Calgary Normal School yearbooks: Yearbook (1923-1924, 1926-1932); Comet (1924-1925); Optimist (1932-1933); Normal Broadcast (1933-1934); and Chinook (1934-1945). Includes "Chronicle", popularly known as the "Domesday Book", created by Normal School students and including valedictory speeches, essays on each school year, and a chronicle of events from 1906 to 1936. Also includes class photographs(1907, 1920-1921), school choirs and choral society (1938, 1941-1943); a recorded interview with teacher, Mr. [V.] Graham; a photograph of the first class (1906); and miscellany.
Includes 11 photographs, 2 audio tape cassettes, and 2 collages.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Photocopy of "Domesday Book" available for reference purposes.
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item list under Calgary Normal School available.
Calgary Normal School Souvenir, 1909 is available at the University of Alberta Archives. The Calgary Normal School Souvenir, 1925-1926 and Calgary Normal School Yearbook, 1926-1927 are available at the Glenbow Library.
Record No. UARC 00.002, 00.003, 2006.049<br><br>
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Calgary Normal School (Subject)