Calgary Public Museum

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Calgary Public Museum

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1911-1935

History

The first museum was established in Calgary, Alberta in 1911 through the efforts of Dr. Euston Sisley and the Calgary Natural History Society. Its first home was in a room of the newly-opened Central Park Library. In 1914 it moved to the basement of the Courthouse. In 1927 the CNHS presented the growing museum to the City of Calgary as a trust, and the Calgary Public Museum became an incorporated society in 1928, run by a body of citizens and under the control of city commissioners. Collections were moved to the North West Travellers Building, the acquisition program was revitalized and new displays were set up by curator J.E. Thurston. The museum collections included mounted zoological specimens, dinosaur fossils, native artifacts, minerals and military artifacts. It closed in 1935 due to financial problems. For further information see Sue Baptie's article "The Case of the Missing Museum" in Glenbow [magazine], vol. 5, no 6 (November/December 1972), p. 6-7.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

glen-481

Institution identifier

Glenbow Archives

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Final

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Record updated by Glenbow Archives, April 14, 2015.

Language(s)

  • English

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places