Title and statement of responsibility area
Calgary Public Museum fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Calgary Public Museum
Physical description area
18 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The first museum was established in Calgary, Alberta in 1911 through the efforts of Dr. Euston Sisley and the Calgary Natural History Society. Its first home was in a room of the newly-opened Central Park Library. In 1914 it moved to the basement of the Courthouse. In 1927 the CNHS presented the growing museum to the City of Calgary as a trust, and the Calgary Public Museum became an incorporated society in 1928, run by a body of citizens and under the control of city commissioners. Collections were moved to the North West Travellers Building, the acquisition program was revitalized and new displays were set up by curator J.E. Thurston. The museum collections included mounted zoological specimens, dinosaur fossils, native artifacts, minerals and military artifacts. It closed in 1935 due to financial problems. For further information see Sue Baptie's article "The Case of the Missing Museum" in Glenbow [magazine], vol. 5, no 6 (November/December 1972), p. 6-7.
This fonds was part of the Horseman's Hall of Fame collections before being transferred to the Glenbow in 1975.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of correspondence, primarily about collections (1911-1936), an accessions register (1928-1929), and visitors books (1928-1933).
•Records related to the following subjects are also in this fonds. See inventory for details: Alberta Natural History Society, Prof. John A. Allan, G. Allen, A.J. Aylesworth, Barnum Brown, buffalo, Thomas S. Burns, Calgary Horticultural Society, Alexander Calhoun, Earl D. Campbell, Canadian Independent Naturalists Association, W.G. Carpenter, Walter Carter, Cyril Child, Ernest W. Coffin, William E. Cutler, G.F. Dippie, G.R. Dolan, Roy R. Fowler, John A. Grant, P.C. Bernard Hervey, Newton Langford, Benjamin Lawton, Clare Leighton, Prof. Francis J. Lewis, Duncan Marshall, Dr. Herbert H. Moshier, J.A. Munro, Red Deer River, Mary T.S. Schaffer, Ernest Thomson Seton, George E. Wood, and William R. Wright.
Immediate source of acquisition
Gift of Carling O'Keefe Breweries, 1964-1975.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
No restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Inventory available. Please consult before requesting material. http://www.glenbow.org/collections/search/findingAids/archhtm/cpmuseum.cfm
Other records of the Calgary Public Museum are at the City of Calgary Archives.
Call numbers. Please consult inventory.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Calgary Public Museum (Subject)
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Language of description