Fonds 0032 - Campbell family fonds

Richmond Avenue, Grande Prairie, Alberta. Hotel Donald, Grande Prairie, Alberta. St. Joseph's Separate School, Grande Prairie, Alberta. St. Joseph's Catholic Church and Manse, Grande Prairie, Alberta. Corona Hotel Fire. Richmond Avenue, Grande Prairie, Alberta. Switchboard Power House, Grande Prairie, Alberta. St. Paul's United Church, Grande Prairie, Alberta. Corona Hotel Fire. Richmond Avenue, Grande Prairie, Alberta.
Results 1 to 10 of 419 Show all

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Campbell family fonds

General material designation

  • Graphic material
  • Textual record
  • Cartographic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title of fonds based on contents.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA GPR 0032

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1867-1999 (Creation)
    Creator
    Campbell family

Physical description area

Physical description

73 cm of textual records
1715 photographs
103 slides
1643 negatives
31 postcards
30 cards
24 pieces of art
7 maps

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(unknown)

Biographical history

Clyde and Myrle Campbell settled in the Peace Country with their 12 year old daughter Isabel in 1919. The move to the Halcourt area, south of Beaverlodge in the Peace River Country, was made after Clyde needed a less stressfull environment after a bout with the Spanish Influenza in 1918.

Clyde Edridge Campbell was born May 18, 1885 in Toledo, Ohio. He had the ability to become a concert pianist but instead studied to be a pharmacist. He graduated from Ohio Northern University and ran a drugstore in Sundance, Wyoming. In 1906 he married Myrtle (Myrle) McGuire, who was born January 10, 1885. Their only child, Isabel May Campbell, was born March 18, 1907 in Rock Springs, Wyoming.

When Isabel was five years of age, Clyde returned to university to study metallurgy. After the completion of this course, he moved the family to Louisville Kentucky where he worked as a research engineer, then back to Toledo in 1916 when he took a position with the Overland Auto Company in metallurgy.

In 1918 Clyde joined the Ordnance Division of the American War Department as a travelling supervisor of ammunition manufacturing sites, often travelling into Canada to do his job. After being very sick with the flu, Clyde was forced to give up this career and began to look towards Canada as a future with less stress on his nervous system. In 1919 he made a visit to the Peace Country and was so impressed by the quiet beauty and the potential of the land, that he decided to stake a homestead claim in the Elmworth area. Isabel and her mother came to join him later that year. For nine years the family homesteaded in Halcourt, but in 1928 they were forced to return to Toledo, Ohio, because of Clyde’s ill health. He died in 1930 and was buried in the Toledo Cemetery.

Myrle Campbell remained in the U.S. until she married Franklin T. Brewer, a one-time neighbour on the homestead, on July 8, 1945. She returned to the Elmworth area and lived there until her death on October 9, 1964. She was buried in the Halcourt Cemetery.

Isabel remained in the U.S. until 1951, when she returned to the Peace River Country. She worked first at the Beaverlodge research station, then as a reporter for the Daily Herald Tribune, writing regular history columns such as “What’s In A Name” and “This Was Yesterday”.

Miss Campbell has made numerous contributions to preserving the history of the Peace Country. She featured a daily radio program entitled “Heritage” on CJXX. She gathered archival material for preservation from organizations, government, social groups and individuals. Painstakingly, she indexed and cross-indexed all articles in Grande Prairie newspapers from 1913 to 1961 for research purposes. This information is preserved at the Grande Prairie Public Library.

Using her carefully amassed collection, Miss Campbell published Grande Prairie--Capitol of the Peace for the city’s 10th anniversary in 1968, edited Pioneers of the Peace which was published in 1975, and provided substantial information to historian J.G. MacGregor for the publication of Grande Prairie in 1983, the city’s 25th anniversary. In 1988, her father’s letters from the Peace Country to family in the USA were published in Challenge of the Homestead.

Miss Campbell has received recognition for her efforts to preserve the history of the Peace Region: In 1983, she received the Alberta Achievement Award for the preservation of history; in 1985 she was nominated for the Sir Frederick Haultain Prize which is presented to individuals who have attained exceptionally high standings in the arts, sciences and humanities; and in 1988, she received the George Repka Award for community contributions in arts, culture and social areas.

Isabel was also dedicated to establishing community facilities for the preservation of history. She was the first secretary for the Pioneer Museum Society of Grande Prairie and District when it was formed in 1961. In 1988 she began to pursue the idea of having a replica of her family’s homesteading cabin built in the museum’s Pioneer Village. The cabin was built by volunteers using traditional skills (with some assistance from modern machinery) and the actual windows from the original cabin. The interior of the cabin was decorated by Isabel Campbell to duplicate her child-hood home.

Isabel Myrle Campbell passed away in 1998, and is buried in the Halcourt Cemetery. A portion of her estate was willed to the Pioneer Museum Society of Grande Prairie and District, and many artefacts from her life can be found there.

Custodial history

In 1997, Isabel Campbell donated five scrapbooks containing heritage articles she had written for the Daily Herald Tribune.

Isabel Campbell named the Grande Prairie Museum as a residuary beneficiary in her will, and upon her death, the contents of her home came to the museum, including a large number of photographs and documents, which were subsequently transferred to the Archives once it was established.

An accrual including a story, photographs, and a newspaper clipping was donated by Dennis and Tina Dale in 1999.

Another accrual from Lois Simpson of Isabel Campbell material was acquired in 2000.

A set of glass negatives given to Miss Campbell by Douglas Clarkson was acquired from Lois Simpson in 2001. The origin of the negatives and their photographer was unknown until 2013, when a donation from descendants of The White Studio revealed that the photographer was John Cameron White. Associated documentation seems to suggest that there were given by Mr. Ross Haynes of Strathcona House, Edmonton to the Old Timers' Association, at which time they were in the possession of Gerald Carveth, Secretary, and a few prints were made. The 2013 donation revealed that (John) Cameron White had changed his name to Ross Haynes. There is mention in a letter that the negatives might become part of the Pioneer Museum collection. However, this never seems to have occurred and at some point, Isabel Campbell seems to have assumed possession of them. Isabel loaned them to Paul Pivert, photographer, to created reproductions. They were in Paul's custody at the time of Isabel's death.

Another accrual of Alaska Highway and family photographs was donated by Lois Simpson in 2009.

An accrual to the collection, including reference files and collected photographs, was acquired from the Grande Prairie Public Library in 2013. These materials were part of a bequest by Isabel Campbell to the Library.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of family genealogical records, documents, diaries, correspondence and photographs from the Campbell, McGuire and Brewer families; documents and photographs to the Campbell homestead at Halcourt; a collection of artwork, including a set of hand-made Christmas Cards drawn by Myrle and Isabel in the late 1920s; personal and business correspondence; historical writings by Isabel Campbell; records from Miss Campbell’s home in Grande Prairie; a reference collection of photographs, maps, and clippings files relating to Peace Country history; a set of glass negatives created in 1936-37 by Cameron White of the White Studio; and memorial records from Isabel’s funeral.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Isabel Campbell named the Grande Prairie Museum as a residuary beneficiary in her will, and upon her death, the contents of her home came to the museum, including a large number of photographs and documents, which were subsequently transferred to the Archives once it was established.

An accrual including a story, photographs, and a newspaper clipping was donated by Dennis and Tina Dale in 1999.

Another accrual from Lois Simpson of Isabel Campbell material was acquired in 2000.

A set of glass negatives given to Miss Campbell by Douglas Clarkson was acquired from Lois Simpson in 2001. The origin of the negatives and their photographer was unknown until 2013, when a donation from descendants of The White Studio revealed that the photographer was John Cameron White. Associated documentation seems to suggest that there were given by Mr. Ross Haynes of Strathcona House, Edmonton to the Old Timers' Association, at which time they were in the possession of Gerald Carveth, Secretary, and a few prints were made. The 2013 donation revealed that (John) Cameron White had changed his name to Ross Haynes. There is mention in a letter that the negatives might become part of the Pioneer Museum collection. However, this never seems to have occurred and at some point, Isabel Campbell seems to have assumed possession of them. Isabel loaned them to Paul Pivert, photographer, to created reproductions. They were in Paul's custody at the time of Isabel's death.

Another accrual of Alaska Highway and family photographs was donated by Lois Simpson in 2009.

An accrual to the collection, including reference files and collected photographs, was acquired from the Grande Prairie Public Library in 2013. These materials were part of a bequest by Isabel Campbell to the Library.

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No access restrictions

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

Accession numbers: 1998.27; 2000.44; 2001.44; 2001.47; 2009.091; 2013.084

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

0032

Institution identifier

South Peace Regional Archives

Rules or conventions

Level of detail

Partial

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres