Title and statement of responsibility area
Canadian Bible College fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the origin of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1924-1977, predominant 1950s-1960s (Creation)
- Canadian Bible College
Physical description area
30 cm of textual records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Canadian Bible College was established in Regina, Saskatchewan in 1941 as Canadian Bible Institute, and classes were held in the refurbished basement of the Regina Alliance Tabernacle at 2080 Osler St. The new school was born of a need to train workers for the new churches that the Christian and Missionary Alliance (C&MA) had planted in Western Canada. At that point the Canadian C&MA had no training institutes of its own, for in 1929 the C&MA's Board of Managers had closed both Canadian Bible Institute (established in Toronto in 1924), and Great West Bible Institute, (founded in Edmonton in 1923). The new school almost suffered the same fate, for it lacked the official approval of the Alliance. However, the founders Gordon Skitch, George Blackett, and W.H. Brooks reached a compromise with the Board whereby the school was permitted to continue so long as its name was changed to Western Canadian Bible Institute (WCBI). <p>This change of name was adopted in 1945, the same year that WCBI moved into new quarters, the former Clayton Hotel, 1720 Broad St., Regina. In 1949 the Legislative Assembly of Saskatchewan granted WCBI official incorporation as a non-profit educational institution, and in May 1956 the General Council of the C&MA recognized WCBI as the official school of the C&MA in Canada. <p>In October 1956, WCBI moved to 4400 4th Ave., Regina, which would be its home, until the move to Calgary in July 2003. On 10 April 1957 WCBI changed its name to Canadian Bible College (CBC). In the following decade, CBC dedicated its new campus, conferred its first BTh and BRE degrees, became a fully-accredited member of the Accrediting Association of Bible Colleges, and began to develop plans for a seminary.</p>
The contents of this fonds were previously in the possession of the C&MA National Archives in Colorado Springs, CO. They were given to the Ambrose Archives in January 2008.
Scope and content
The fonds consists primarily of documents, most notably the Miscellaneous Brochure Collection of Alvin or Darrell Martin dating from the 1940s-1966. It also includes 20 photographic prints and 7 slides. Some of the material has been maintained in its original order where original order existed, other material has been categorized according to date.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
- The material is in English.
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on the use of the fonds.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
An inventory to the records is available.
Further accruals are not expected.
Record No. 2008-01<br><br>
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
- Canadian Bible College (Subject)