Title and statement of responsibility area
Canuck School Reunion fonds
General material designation
- Graphic material
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title of fonds based on contents.
Level of description
CA GPR 0479
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Canuck School Reunion
Physical description area
5 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
In 2011, the Canuck School Reunion was held in the refurbished Canuck School which had been moved to Bear Lake Park on the north shore of the lake. This was the third reunion held for former students. When the first was held in July 2000, the old school still stood on its original site. Following that reunion, the Bear Lake Canuck School Historical Society was formed, and the school was moved to a new site in Bear Lake Park in 2001. By the next school reunion in 2009, the school had been completely refurbished.
Canuck School District 3873 was established September 22, 1919 but classes had been held in a log building on Walter McGervins' homestead as early as 1918. In 1921 a 26' x 38' white frame school was built on the SE 1/4 of Section 9, Township 73, Range 7, West of the 6th Meridian. The first teacher was Leo Patterson, and like many succeeding teachers, he boarded at the home of Louis Alexandre. Later a teacherage was added to the site. Teachers included Miss Nugent, Peggy Stanford, Mrs. Clendenan, Dora Coburg, May Robinson, Mr. Strawn, Myrtle Dixon, Alice Sutherland, Myrtle Tolley, Marjorie Clifford, Florence Cunningham, Patsy Meraw, Mrs. R. Bennett, Betty Rigby, Alice Samuelson, Norah Webb, Roy Grimsrud, Barbara Bailey, Eleanor Wafler, Velma Podulsky, Pat Van Schaick, Florence Nail and Mrs. (Myrtle) Jack Brown. In the fall of 1955 the school was closed and the children were bussed to Sexsmith.
Material collected from various donors for use at the Canuck School reunion. Material was deposited at the Archives in 2011 by Desmond Brown and Sharon Annis Brown.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of research files created for Canuck School Reunions in 2000, 2009 and 2011; and the paper artifacts and photographs donated at those events. The collection includes student and teacher reports; a poster of Spring Bird Sightings created by teacher Alice Sutherland ca. 1930; photographs of teachers and students from 1927-1955; and photographs of community landmarks such as the Stone House on the shore of Bear Lake, the building of Bear Lake Hall, and a Presbyterian picnic at Pitman's Point.
Immediate source of acquisition
Material was deposited at the Archives in 2011 by Desmond Brown and Sharon Annis Brown.
Language of material
- The material is in English.
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
A finding aid is available at http://southpeacearchives.org/canuck-school-reunion-fonds/
Further accruals are expected.
Accession number: 2011.60
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
South Peace Regional Archives
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Language of description