Fonds edm-1518 - Charles Camsell Hospital fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Charles Camsell Hospital fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of records.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA EDM edm-1518

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1961-1987 (Creation)
    Creator
    Charles Camsell Hospital

Physical description area

Physical description

18 cm of textual records. -- 1 photograph.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The Charles Camsell Hospital was opened in 1967 to serve the needs of severely ill Indian and Inuit northerners. The new building replaced one originally built in 1913 as a Jesuit College and used by the American military from 1942 as headquarters for the Northwest Service Command. Two years later the Canadian government used the building for returning veterans and later for natives with tuberculosis. The new building was named for a previous minister of Lands and Resources, Dr. Charles Camsell, who was born in the Northwest Territories and served as a doctor in the Arctic for many years. Dr. Camsell died in 1958.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of materials created by the Charles Camsell Hospital between 1961 and 1967. The fonds consists of guest books from various functions held at or in association with the Charles Camsell Hospital, drawings made by patients and staff of the hospital, and a photograph of Charles Camsell and the Charles Camsell Hospital.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

The fonds was donated to the City of Edmonton Archives by the Provincial Museum of Alberta in 1992.

Arrangement

Language of material

  • The material is in English.

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Associated materials

The photograph of the Charles Camsell Hospital is cataloged separately.

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Record No. MS-419<br><br>

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Level of detail

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres