Fonds paa-6612 - Charles Camsell Hospital fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Charles Camsell Hospital fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

PAA paa-6612

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1946-1988 (Creation)
    Creator
    Charles Camsell Hospital

Physical description area

Physical description

1.04 m of textual records and other material

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The original building that housed the Charles Camsell Hospital was built around 1913 in Edmonton, Alberta. The building was used as a Jesuit College for boys until 1942 at which time it was taken over by the American Army. The Americans added a number of detached frame buildings to the property, and the entire facility was used as a holding and forwarding centre for American Army personnel and civilian engineers employed to construct the Alaska Highway. The highway was completed in 1944 and the Americans left the site.<br>;The property and the equipment were then sold to the Government of Canada, and the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps used it to set up the Edmonton Military Hospital. At this time several detached buildings were connected to the main building by a system of corridors.<br>;In the summer of 1945 Dr. W. Lynn Falconer, assistant to the Acting Superintendent of Medical Services for Indian Affairs in Ottawa, was sent to Edmonton to inspect the facility. The purpose of this inspection was to determine whether or not the site could be converted to a tuberculosis hospital to serve the Inuit and other First Nations groups in Alberta, the Yukon Territory, and parts of the Northwest Territories. The site was deemed suitable for conversion to a tuberculosis hospital and the first patients were admitted shortly before Christmas of 1945.<br>;For several months, the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps and Indian Health Services ran the hospital jointly. Early in 1946 the hospital was named after Dr. Charles Camsell, one-time geologist and Deputy Minister of Mines and Resources from 1920 to 1946. Transfer of the land and buildings from the Department of Defence to the Department of National Health and Welfare officially took place on June 1, 1946, and the Charles Camsell Hospital officially opened on August 26, 1946. The Charles Camsell Hospital ran out of the former Jesuit College building for several years. In 1964 the Federal Government approved the building of a new facility, and by 1967 the new building was complete. On July 11, 1967 equipment, staff, and patients were moved into the new building and the old Jesuit College building was demolished.<br>;During the 1970s the function of the Charles Camsell Hospital began to change. There was no longer a need for a tuberculosis hospital in the area, so the Charles Camsell became a general treatment hospital. It served the general population until October 30, 1992 when it merged with the Royal Alexandra Hospital. The Charles Camsell Hospital was officially de-established in 1993.<br>

Custodial history

The records in this fonds were deposited in the Provincial Archives of Alberta in several accessions between 1969 and 1998. In 1969 the Provincial Archives of Alberta made microfilm copies of the newsletter created by the patients of the Charles Camsell Hospital. Between 1987 and 1998, five accessions of records were deposited in the Archives by the Chairperson of the Charles Camsell Hospital Historical Society. A former patient at the Charles Camsell Hospital deposited records in the Archives in 1992, and in 1997 another accession of records came to the Archives from the estate of a former nurse at the Hospital. Finally, the Provincial Museum of Alberta deposited three accessions of records in 1991.

Scope and content

Fonds consists of records pertaining to the establishment and history of the Charles Camsell Hospital including inspection reports, correspondence, photographs of former staff and patients, newspaper clippings, articles, and drawings. The fonds has been divided into the following series:
Charles Camsell History Committee records from 1910 to 1988Camsell Arrow records from [196-?]

Notes area

Physical condition

Also includes ca. 550 photographs, 7 audiotapes, 4 cinefilms, 2 maps, 2 videocassettes, 1 microfilm reel, and 1 pastel drawing.

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • The material is in English.

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Access Conditions: None. Use Conditions: Permission for use required. Subject to the Copyright Act.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Associated materials

Records of the Charles Camsell Hospital Historical Society are also located at the Provincial Archives of Alberta. A number of discrete items pertaining to the Charles Camsell Hospital that are not part of this fonds are also located in the following accessions: PR1984.0425, PR1991.0384, PR1993.0243. Other records of the Charles Camsell Hospital are located at the City of Edmonton Archives.

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are not expected

General note

Most of the information in the Administrative History was obtained from a history of the Charles Camsell Hospital published in 1985 entitled <em>The Camsell Mosaic</em>.<br>For series descriptions please see the Provincial Archives of Alberta's online finding aid.<br><br>Record No. Fonds consists of the following accessions: PR1969.0073, PR1987.0128, PR1991.0383, PR1991.0443, PR1991.0530, PR1992.0048, PR1992.0116, PR1992.0178, PR1996.0002, PR1997.0127<br><br>

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Level of detail

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres