Fonds paa-6612 - Charles Camsell Hospital fonds

Zone du titre et de la mention de responsabilité

Titre propre

Charles Camsell Hospital fonds

Dénomination générale des documents

Titre parallèle

Compléments du titre

Mentions de responsabilité du titre

Notes du titre

  • Source du titre propre: Title based on contents of fonds.

Niveau de description

Fonds

Cote

PAA paa-6612

Zone de l'édition

Mention d'édition

Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition

Zone des précisions relatives à la catégorie de documents

Mention d'échelle (cartographique)

Mention de projection (cartographique)

Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)

Mention d'échelle (architecturale)

Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)

Zone des dates de production

Date(s)

  • 1946-1988 (Production)
    Producteur
    Charles Camsell Hospital

Zone de description matérielle

Description matérielle

1.04 m of textual records and other material

Zone de la collection

Titre propre de la collection

Titres parallèles de la collection

Compléments du titre de la collection

Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection

Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection

Note sur la collection

Zone de la description archivistique

Nom du producteur

Notice biographique

The original building that housed the Charles Camsell Hospital was built around 1913 in Edmonton, Alberta. The building was used as a Jesuit College for boys until 1942 at which time it was taken over by the American Army. The Americans added a number of detached frame buildings to the property, and the entire facility was used as a holding and forwarding centre for American Army personnel and civilian engineers employed to construct the Alaska Highway. The highway was completed in 1944 and the Americans left the site.<br>;The property and the equipment were then sold to the Government of Canada, and the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps used it to set up the Edmonton Military Hospital. At this time several detached buildings were connected to the main building by a system of corridors.<br>;In the summer of 1945 Dr. W. Lynn Falconer, assistant to the Acting Superintendent of Medical Services for Indian Affairs in Ottawa, was sent to Edmonton to inspect the facility. The purpose of this inspection was to determine whether or not the site could be converted to a tuberculosis hospital to serve the Inuit and other First Nations groups in Alberta, the Yukon Territory, and parts of the Northwest Territories. The site was deemed suitable for conversion to a tuberculosis hospital and the first patients were admitted shortly before Christmas of 1945.<br>;For several months, the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps and Indian Health Services ran the hospital jointly. Early in 1946 the hospital was named after Dr. Charles Camsell, one-time geologist and Deputy Minister of Mines and Resources from 1920 to 1946. Transfer of the land and buildings from the Department of Defence to the Department of National Health and Welfare officially took place on June 1, 1946, and the Charles Camsell Hospital officially opened on August 26, 1946. The Charles Camsell Hospital ran out of the former Jesuit College building for several years. In 1964 the Federal Government approved the building of a new facility, and by 1967 the new building was complete. On July 11, 1967 equipment, staff, and patients were moved into the new building and the old Jesuit College building was demolished.<br>;During the 1970s the function of the Charles Camsell Hospital began to change. There was no longer a need for a tuberculosis hospital in the area, so the Charles Camsell became a general treatment hospital. It served the general population until October 30, 1992 when it merged with the Royal Alexandra Hospital. The Charles Camsell Hospital was officially de-established in 1993.<br>

Historique de la conservation

The records in this fonds were deposited in the Provincial Archives of Alberta in several accessions between 1969 and 1998. In 1969 the Provincial Archives of Alberta made microfilm copies of the newsletter created by the patients of the Charles Camsell Hospital. Between 1987 and 1998, five accessions of records were deposited in the Archives by the Chairperson of the Charles Camsell Hospital Historical Society. A former patient at the Charles Camsell Hospital deposited records in the Archives in 1992, and in 1997 another accession of records came to the Archives from the estate of a former nurse at the Hospital. Finally, the Provincial Museum of Alberta deposited three accessions of records in 1991.

Portée et contenu

Fonds consists of records pertaining to the establishment and history of the Charles Camsell Hospital including inspection reports, correspondence, photographs of former staff and patients, newspaper clippings, articles, and drawings. The fonds has been divided into the following series:
Charles Camsell History Committee records from 1910 to 1988Camsell Arrow records from [196-?]

Zone des notes

État de conservation

Also includes ca. 550 photographs, 7 audiotapes, 4 cinefilms, 2 maps, 2 videocassettes, 1 microfilm reel, and 1 pastel drawing.

Source immédiate d'acquisition

Classement

Langue des documents

  • The material is in English.

Écriture des documents

Localisation des originaux

Disponibilité d'autres formats

Restrictions d'accès

Access Conditions: None. Use Conditions: Permission for use required. Subject to the Copyright Act.

Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication

Éléments associés

Records of the Charles Camsell Hospital Historical Society are also located at the Provincial Archives of Alberta. A number of discrete items pertaining to the Charles Camsell Hospital that are not part of this fonds are also located in the following accessions: PR1984.0425, PR1991.0384, PR1993.0243. Other records of the Charles Camsell Hospital are located at the City of Edmonton Archives.

Éléments associés

Accroissements

Further accruals are not expected

Note générale

Most of the information in the Administrative History was obtained from a history of the Charles Camsell Hospital published in 1985 entitled <em>The Camsell Mosaic</em>.<br>For series descriptions please see the Provincial Archives of Alberta's online finding aid.<br><br>Record No. Fonds consists of the following accessions: PR1969.0073, PR1987.0128, PR1991.0383, PR1991.0443, PR1991.0530, PR1992.0048, PR1992.0116, PR1992.0178, PR1996.0002, PR1997.0127<br><br>

Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

Zone du numéro normalisé

Numéro normalisé

Mots-clés

Mots-clés - Sujets

Mots-clés - Lieux

Mots-clés - Noms

Mots-clés - Genre

Zone du contrôle

Identifiant de la description du document

Identifiant du service d'archives

Règles ou conventions

Niveau de détail

Langue de la description

Langage d'écriture de la description

Sources

Zone des entrées

Sujets associés

Personnes et organismes associés

Lieux associés

Genres associés