Collection paa-8631 - Charles Camsell Hospital Interview collection

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Charles Camsell Hospital Interview collection

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of collection.

Level of description

Collection

Reference code

PAA paa-8631

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1991 (Creation)
    Creator
    Provincial Museum of Alberta

Physical description area

Physical description

4 audio reels. - 0.01 m of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

From 1913 until 1942 a Jesuit College for boys occupied the original structure of the Charles Camsell Hospital in Edmonton, Alberta. In 1942, the U.S Army assumed the building for use as a holding and forwarding centre for the U.S. Army personnel and civilian engineers employed in the construction of the Alaska Highway. In 1944, the U.S. Army departed, and the Government of Canada purchased the remaining property and equipment, and the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps established the Edmonton Military Hospital. The Canadian Army then connected the detached buildings to the main building. In the summer of 1945, Dr. W. Lynn Falconer, assistant to the Acting Superintendent of Medical Services for Indian Affairs in Ottawa, arrived in Edmonton to determine if the facility constituted a suitable site for a tuberculosis hospital for the Inuit and other First Nations groups in Alberta, the Yukon Territory, and parts of the Northwest Territories. Following the inspection, a conversion occurred and the hospital admitted its first patients at the end of 1945. For several months, the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps and Indian Health Services ran the hospital jointly. Transfer of the land and buildings from the Department of Defense to the Department of National Health and Welfare transpired on June 1, 1946. The Charles Camsell Hospital, named after Dr. Charles Camsell, a former geologist and Deputy Minister of Mines and Resources (1920-1946), officially opened on August 26, 1946. In 1964, the Federal Government approved plans for the construction of a new hospital building. On July 11, 1967 equipment, staff, and patients moved into the new building. In the 1970's, the Charles Camsell Hospital became a general treatment hospital. In 1992, the Charles Camsell merged with the Royal Alexandra Hospital.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The collection consists of recorded and written interviews with former staff and patients of the Charles Camsell Hospital dating from 1991 conducted by Lisa Staples of the Provincial Museum of Alberta.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

In 1992, Lisa Staples donated the material to the Provincial Archives of Alberta

Arrangement

Material arranged according to original order.

Language of material

  • The material is in English.

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access. Permission for use required. Subject to the Copyright Act.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

No file list/inventory available

Associated materials

For material on the Charles Camsell Hospital, please see the Charles Camsell Hospital fonds at the Provincial Archives of Alberta.

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are not expected.

General note

Information for the administrative history/biographical sketch sourced from the Provincial Archives' Charles Camsell Hospital fonds description.<br><br>Record No. The fonds includes the following accession: PR1992.0129<br><br>

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Level of detail

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres