Title and statement of responsibility area
Charles Camsell Hospital Interview collection
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of collection.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Provincial Museum of Alberta
Physical description area
4 audio reels. - 0.01 m of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
From 1913 until 1942 a Jesuit College for boys occupied the original structure of the Charles Camsell Hospital in Edmonton, Alberta. In 1942, the U.S Army assumed the building for use as a holding and forwarding centre for the U.S. Army personnel and civilian engineers employed in the construction of the Alaska Highway. In 1944, the U.S. Army departed, and the Government of Canada purchased the remaining property and equipment, and the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps established the Edmonton Military Hospital. The Canadian Army then connected the detached buildings to the main building. In the summer of 1945, Dr. W. Lynn Falconer, assistant to the Acting Superintendent of Medical Services for Indian Affairs in Ottawa, arrived in Edmonton to determine if the facility constituted a suitable site for a tuberculosis hospital for the Inuit and other First Nations groups in Alberta, the Yukon Territory, and parts of the Northwest Territories. Following the inspection, a conversion occurred and the hospital admitted its first patients at the end of 1945. For several months, the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps and Indian Health Services ran the hospital jointly. Transfer of the land and buildings from the Department of Defense to the Department of National Health and Welfare transpired on June 1, 1946. The Charles Camsell Hospital, named after Dr. Charles Camsell, a former geologist and Deputy Minister of Mines and Resources (1920-1946), officially opened on August 26, 1946. In 1964, the Federal Government approved plans for the construction of a new hospital building. On July 11, 1967 equipment, staff, and patients moved into the new building. In the 1970's, the Charles Camsell Hospital became a general treatment hospital. In 1992, the Charles Camsell merged with the Royal Alexandra Hospital.
Scope and content
The collection consists of recorded and written interviews with former staff and patients of the Charles Camsell Hospital dating from 1991 conducted by Lisa Staples of the Provincial Museum of Alberta.
Immediate source of acquisition
In 1992, Lisa Staples donated the material to the Provincial Archives of Alberta
Material arranged according to original order.
Language of material
- The material is in English.
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access. Permission for use required. Subject to the Copyright Act.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
No file list/inventory available
For material on the Charles Camsell Hospital, please see the Charles Camsell Hospital fonds at the Provincial Archives of Alberta.
Further accruals are not expected.
Information for the administrative history/biographical sketch sourced from the Provincial Archives' Charles Camsell Hospital fonds description.<br><br>Record No. The fonds includes the following accession: PR1992.0129<br><br>
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Provincial Museum of Alberta (Subject)