Collection paa-8631 - Charles Camsell Hospital Interview collection

Zone du titre et de la mention de responsabilité

Titre propre

Charles Camsell Hospital Interview collection

Dénomination générale des documents

Titre parallèle

Compléments du titre

Mentions de responsabilité du titre

Notes du titre

  • Source du titre propre: Title based on contents of collection.

Niveau de description

Collection

Cote

PAA paa-8631

Zone de l'édition

Mention d'édition

Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition

Zone des précisions relatives à la catégorie de documents

Mention d'échelle (cartographique)

Mention de projection (cartographique)

Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)

Mention d'échelle (architecturale)

Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)

Zone des dates de production

Date(s)

  • 1991 (Production)
    Producteur
    Provincial Museum of Alberta

Zone de description matérielle

Description matérielle

4 audio reels. - 0.01 m of textual records

Zone de la collection

Titre propre de la collection

Titres parallèles de la collection

Compléments du titre de la collection

Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection

Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection

Note sur la collection

Zone de la description archivistique

Nom du producteur

Notice biographique

From 1913 until 1942 a Jesuit College for boys occupied the original structure of the Charles Camsell Hospital in Edmonton, Alberta. In 1942, the U.S Army assumed the building for use as a holding and forwarding centre for the U.S. Army personnel and civilian engineers employed in the construction of the Alaska Highway. In 1944, the U.S. Army departed, and the Government of Canada purchased the remaining property and equipment, and the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps established the Edmonton Military Hospital. The Canadian Army then connected the detached buildings to the main building. In the summer of 1945, Dr. W. Lynn Falconer, assistant to the Acting Superintendent of Medical Services for Indian Affairs in Ottawa, arrived in Edmonton to determine if the facility constituted a suitable site for a tuberculosis hospital for the Inuit and other First Nations groups in Alberta, the Yukon Territory, and parts of the Northwest Territories. Following the inspection, a conversion occurred and the hospital admitted its first patients at the end of 1945. For several months, the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps and Indian Health Services ran the hospital jointly. Transfer of the land and buildings from the Department of Defense to the Department of National Health and Welfare transpired on June 1, 1946. The Charles Camsell Hospital, named after Dr. Charles Camsell, a former geologist and Deputy Minister of Mines and Resources (1920-1946), officially opened on August 26, 1946. In 1964, the Federal Government approved plans for the construction of a new hospital building. On July 11, 1967 equipment, staff, and patients moved into the new building. In the 1970's, the Charles Camsell Hospital became a general treatment hospital. In 1992, the Charles Camsell merged with the Royal Alexandra Hospital.

Historique de la conservation

Portée et contenu

The collection consists of recorded and written interviews with former staff and patients of the Charles Camsell Hospital dating from 1991 conducted by Lisa Staples of the Provincial Museum of Alberta.

Zone des notes

État de conservation

Source immédiate d'acquisition

In 1992, Lisa Staples donated the material to the Provincial Archives of Alberta

Classement

Material arranged according to original order.

Langue des documents

  • The material is in English.

Écriture des documents

Localisation des originaux

Disponibilité d'autres formats

Restrictions d'accès

There are no restrictions on access. Permission for use required. Subject to the Copyright Act.

Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication

Instruments de recherche

No file list/inventory available

Éléments associés

For material on the Charles Camsell Hospital, please see the Charles Camsell Hospital fonds at the Provincial Archives of Alberta.

Éléments associés

Accroissements

Further accruals are not expected.

Note générale

Information for the administrative history/biographical sketch sourced from the Provincial Archives' Charles Camsell Hospital fonds description.<br><br>Record No. The fonds includes the following accession: PR1992.0129<br><br>

Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

Zone du numéro normalisé

Numéro normalisé

Mots-clés

Mots-clés - Sujets

Mots-clés - Lieux

Mots-clés - Noms

Mots-clés - Genre

Zone du contrôle

Identifiant de la description du document

Identifiant du service d'archives

Règles ou conventions

Niveau de détail

Langue de la description

Langage d'écriture de la description

Sources

Zone des entrées

Sujets associés

Personnes et organismes associés

Lieux associés

Genres associés