Title and statement of responsibility area
City of Calgary. Parks & Recreation Department fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
131.59 m of textual records and other material
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Calgary Parks and Recreation Department had numerous name changes over time. Known as the Parks Department until 1942, it became the Parks and Playgrounds Department from then until 1948, and the Parks, Cemeteries and Playgrounds Department until 1954. From 1954 until 1960, it was the Parks, Cemeteries and Recreation Department, when it became the Parks, Recreation and Cemeteries until 1966. Since then, it has been the Parks and Recreation Department. While the name of the department has changed regularly, its basic functions did not change remarkably until recent decades. Throughout the 1980s and into the 1990s, the departments' organizational structure was changed regularly, and became more complex. The purpose of the Parks Committee established in 1909 was "to manage and control the parks, boulevards and cemeteries within the City." The concept of recreation and a belief in its importance gained ground after World War 1939-1945 and was most evident in the 1960s and beyond. This expanded the scope of the department and is reflected in the name changes, title changes and the enlargement of park areas. However, the department was still responsible for the operation and maintenance of the city's' parks, boulevards, playgrounds and cemeteries. For more information regarding the City of Calgary, Parks & Recreation Department administrative history, please link to the City of Calgary Archives homepage and click on the "fonds level descriptions" link.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of records from the Parks and Recreation Department which reflect a wide range of responsibilities held by the Department over time including correspondence files, annual reports, financial records, reports, minutes, and publications. The records date from 1905 to 1981, with material from the 1960s and 1970s predominating. For more information regarding the City of Calgary, Parks & Recreation Department scope/content information, please link to the City of Calgary Archives homepage and click on the "fonds level descriptions" link.
Includes 2200 photo prints, 1256 photo negatives, 500 slides, 60 drawings, 15 video cassettes, 10 film reels.
Immediate source of acquisition
Records were transferred either directly from the City of Calgary, Parks & Recreation Department or from the Civic Records Centre in several separate transfers.
Language of material
- The material is in English.
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
In accordance with The City of Calgary's policy on Access to Municipal Information, records more than twenty-five years old are available for public use unless otherwise restricted. Records which are less than twenty-five years old are available for public use unless otherwise restricted by legislation. Please see the City of Calgary Archives Policies and Procedures Manual for further infomation regarding access to records.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
A descriptive finding aid is available at the City of Calgary Archives.
Accruals are expected.
The City of Calgary Archives may have reference material which may be associated to the fonds. All textual records are in closed storage. To view records please contact the City of Calgary Archives.<br><br>