Title and statement of responsibility area
City of Red Deer Electric Light and Power department fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
CORD EL&P fonds
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
RED RG 26 Electric Light and Power department fonds
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- City of Red Deer Electric Light and Power department
Physical description area
8.9 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Electric Light and Power department was started on April 1, 1926 when the City of Red Deer took over the operation of the local electric and power utility from Western General Electric (a local privately owned corporation).
In 1928, the City signed a long term wholesale electricity contract with Calgary Power and stopped generating power themselves. The department now existed for billing, maintenance, and installation.
From 1926 until 1969, Electric Light and Power functioned under a superintendent and reported to the Mayor / City Commissioner. In 1970 it moved under the Director of Engineering and Utilities / City Engineer. In 1995, Electric Light and Power moved to the Development Services division.
Records were transferred in 3 accessions between 2002 and 2015 per City's records scheduling, retention and disposition schedule. Records were created as per daily business and operation function of the City of Red Deer's Public Works departmen
Scope and content
Fonds consists of the administrative and operational records created, accumulated, and used by the Electric Light & Power department at the City of Red Deer in 1926, 1988 to 1989, and 1993 to 1995.
The types of records include the first electricity meter card from 1926, TransAlta Utilities correspondence, and billing system changes.
No series assignment has been applied to the records in this fonds.
Immediate source of acquisition
Original order maintained.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
No restrictions noted.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copyright generally belongs to the City of Red Deer.
File list available.
Uploaded finding aid
Further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Red Deer and District Archives
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Language of description