Fonds red-3029 - City of Red Deer, Gaetz Lakes Sanctuary Ad Hoc Committee fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

City of Red Deer, Gaetz Lakes Sanctuary Ad Hoc Committee fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

RED red-3029

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1971-1976 (Creation)
    Creator
    Red Deer. Gaetz Lakes Sanctuary Ad Hoc Committee

Physical description area

Physical description

5 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Red Deer became an unincorporated town in 1894, and a village in 1898, under the ordinances of the then Northwest Territories. It was incorporated as a town in 1901; and incorporated as a city in 1913. In 1973, the Gaetz Lake Sanctuary Ad Hoc Committee was established by City Council. In 1988 it was made permanent, as the Gaetz Lakes Sanctuary Committee (current by-law no. 3265-2000). This committee was established to take care of the Gaetz Lakes area in Red Deer, a bird sanctuary. The City of Red Deer was responsible for the maintenance of the area, although it did not own the land. In 1972, the city sought public input regarding the future of the Gaetz Lakes Sanctuary, and an ad hoc committee was established the following year. In 1984, the provincial government and Red Deer Public School Board sold the area to the City. The Gaetz Lakes were made part of the Waskasoo Parks system, and an interpretive center, the Kerry Wood Nature Centre, was built adjacent to the Sanctuary.

Name of creator

Biographical history

Name of creator

Biographical history

Name of creator

Biographical history

Custodial history

Records were in the possession of Bob Mills, a former member of the committee

Scope and content

The fonds consists of correspondence, minutes, maps and a consultant's report.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Gift of Bob Mills, 2003

Arrangement

Language of material

  • The material is in English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access; copyright restrictions may apply

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

No finding aid available

Associated materials

See also City of Red Deer, Office of the City Clerk fonds, RG 6; Kerry Wood fonds, MG 4

Related materials

Accruals

No further additions to the fonds are expected

General note

Official records of the committee can be found in the City of Red Deer, Office of the City Clerk fonds<br><br>Record No. RG 48<br><br>

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Level of detail

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area