Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Multiple media
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- City of Red Deer Parks section
- Red Deer, Alberta
Physical description area
2178 photographs : col., b&w ; prints, negatives, slides, Polaroids
82 technical drawings
14 architectural drawings
4 computer disks : 3" floppy
3 optical discs : CD-ROM
3 video cassettes : VHS
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Parks section functions started in April 1904, when the Town of Red Deer passed a comprehensive Committees By-law (By-Law 57) assigning the responsibility for Parks to the Property Committee and the Public Works Committee, later the Public Works department.
In 1909, the Town of Red Deer acquired its first significant parkland, Gaetz Park, along the Red Deer River near the mouth of Waskasoo Creek. A town gardener and cemetery superintendent was hired in 1911. The position was renamed to Parks Foreman in 1913. This position reported to the Mayor and Commissioner. It is noteworthy that for several years the Parks Foreman / Superintendent was the same person as the Public Works Superintendent.
In 1949, both Parks and Public Works moved under the City Engineer. In 1964, a new Parks Board was created under Bylaw 2179 to "exercise such powers in the control, supervision and management of any park, street, boulevard, playground and cemetery as the Council may determine." In 1985, there was a new bylaw to change the Recreation Board to the Recreation and Parks Board (By-Law 2872/85). However, Recreation and Parks continued to be separate departments.
In 1989, the Community Services Directorate was created and Parks moved directly under that Directorate. In 1995 a new Recreation, Parks, and Culture department (RPC) was created under the Community Services Division, with the Parks section reporting to the RPC department.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of the administrative and operational records created, accumulated, and used by the Parks section at the City of Red Deer between 1950 and 2008.
The types of records included are correspondence, minutes and agendas, memoranda, reports, plans, maps, drawings, computer disks and optical discs, and video cassettes. The topics covered by the records include budgets, Alto Reste cemetery operations and maintenance, tree planting, landscape maintenance, Lion's Campground, Waskasoo Park, City Hall Park, Rotary Recreation Park, Discovery Canyon, Riverside Athletic Park, policies and procedures, Communities in Bloom, Red Deer River flooding, Bower Ponds construction, picnic shelter, Heritage Square, Central Alberta Regional Trails Initiative Report (CARTS Report), Cross Country Ski Club, Red Deer BMX Club, Festival of Trees, homeless camp reports, sports field inventories, and mosquito control.
No series assignment has been applied to the records in this fonds.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Standard number area
Place access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Language of description