Title and statement of responsibility area
City of Red Deer Water Treatment Plant section fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
- Architectural drawing
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
RED RG 31 Water Treatment Plant section fonds
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
No scale available
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- City of Red Deer Water Treatment Plant section
- Red Deer, Alberta
Physical description area
1.618 m of textual records
15 photographs : col, print and 35 mm negatives
1 architectural drawing
1 optical disc : CD
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Water Treatment Plant functionality began in 1904 with the installation of the first water works system in the Town of Red Deer. Management of the intake pumps was shared between the Public Works department and Western General Electric Company until 1926.
The City made many improvements to the systems. In 1933, they installed a chlorinator and heating system for the winter. In 1939, the City constructed a water filtration plant. A new water treatment plant was build in 1955 to supplement the capacity. Water Treatment Plan No. 2 opened in 1983 and the Bellvue Reservoir was constructed south of Water Treatment Plant No. 1 in 1995. In 2003, a new upgrade and expansion began, finishing in 2008, to serve the regional potable water needs of the Red Deer River Water Services Commission.
The Water Treatment Plant was managed by Public Works, who in turn reported to the City Engineer and other areas until 2006. The funding for the system moved from Public Works to Utilities in 1963. In 1995, Engineering Services was renamed Development Services. In 2006, the Water Treatment Plant moved to report under the Environmental Services department instead of Public Works.
Records were transferred in 4 accessions between 2003 and 2018 per the City's records scheduling, retention and disposition schedule. Records were created as per daily business and operation function of the City of Red Deer's Water Treatment section in the Public Works department.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of the administrative and operational records created, accumulated, and used by the Water Treatment Plant section at the City of Red Deer between 1976 and 2010.
The types of records included are policies and procedures, meeting minutes for the Red Deer Civic Executive Association, spring run off, and staff meetings, an architectural drawing of the Water Treatment Plant (1980), Public Works organizational structure, the City of Red Deer Solid Waste Master Plan (1992), Wastewater Walt Cartoon, surveys, annual reports (1989, 1991, 1993-1998), feasibility studies, system reports from Water Treatment and Wastewater Treatment, studies, Environmental Emergency Response information, and information about key events like the Walkerton disaster and Red Deer River Clean Up.
No series assignment has been applied to the records in this fonds.
Immediate source of acquisition
Original order maintained.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
No restrictions noted.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
No restrictions noted.
File list available.
Uploaded finding aid
Further accruals are expected
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Description record identifier
Red Deer and District Archives
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Language of description