Title and statement of responsibility area
Department of Chemistry fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of records.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- University of Calgary. Department of Chemistry
Physical description area
29 cm textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The first University level Chemistry courses were taught in 1949-1950 as service courses to the Faculty of Education programs at the Calgary Branch of the University of Alberta. Initially only the first year of the 3-year Chmistry major BSc program was offered which students had to complete in Edmonton. The years of study allowed at the University was gradually extended until 1964 when the first 4-year BSc (Honors Chemistry) was conferred. In 1966 the Department of Chemistry was created in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. It moved to the newly formed Faculty of Science in 1977. Today the department offers BSc, MSc, and PhD courses and degrees. Heads of the Department of Chemistry: P.J. Krueger, 1966-1970; D.A. Armstrong, 1970-1973; E. Tschuikow-Roux, 1973-1977; T. Chivers, 1977-1982; P.M. Boorman, 1982-1987; H.L. Yeager, 1987-1994; P.W. Codding, 1994-1997; R.A. Kydd, 1997-2002; Brian A. Keay, 2002-
Name of creator
Deposited by Peter Krueger, Head Department of Chemistry (1970). Custodial history of UARC 92.038 is unknown.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of department history including growth statistics, staff, funding, annual reports (1960-1970), brochures and information on special events, a history of the multidiscliplinary biochemistry group (1977), pamphlets, and annual reports of the Department.
Immediate source of acquisition
Deposited by Peter Krueger, Head Department of Chemistry (1970). Source of UARC 92.038 is unknown. Annual Reports and pamphlet series collected by the University Archives.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Administrative records of The University of Calgary are restricted for a period of twenty-five years. Access requires permission from the originating office. All records must be screened for personal information.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Some issue lists available.
Record No. UARC 85.023, 92.038, 97.167, 98.074<br><br>