Dunn (family)

Identity area

Type of entity

Family

Authorized form of name

Dunn (family)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1902-1942

History

The Dunn family originally lived on a farm near Franklin Cantre, Quebec, that contained apple and maple orchards. The five sisters were all school teachers and four of the five brothers came west to Alberta in 1902. Robert (1872), Richard (1877), George (1886) and Jeremiah (1890) came to Medicine Hat where Robert opened one of the first grocery stores in town. Dunn's Grocery was located in the Bell Block on South Railway Street, where the first Co-op store was built after the war. Jerry Dunn settled on a farm near Irvine and returned to Quebec in the late 1940's to buy an apple orchard and he remained a bachelor. Richard and George were bricklayers and plasterers who built many of the brick homes on the S.E. Hill. They contributed to the construction of the original City Hall, the Courthouse, the Eatons building, and Fifth Avenue United Church, as well as the Banff Springs Hotel. Richard married Christena (Tena) MacEchern and they had four children, Harold (1908), Janet (1909), Mary and Ruth. Richard died in 1942. Robert Dunn married Jennie Thompson and had three children, Phyllis, Robert Jr. and Edmund. Robert died in 1934.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

MED-657

Institution identifier

Esplanade Archives

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC