Fonds 0266 - Emmaus Lutheran Church fonds

Emmaus Lutheran Church Emmaus Lutheran Church Emmaus Lutheran Church Rev. Walther on Horseback Lutheran Congregation, North Kleskun Lutheran Congregation, North Kleskun Emmaus Lutheran Church, North Kleskun Emmaus Lutheran Church, North Kleskun Emmaus Lutheran Church, North Kleskun Emmaus Lutheran Church, North Kleskun
Results 1 to 10 of 25 Show all

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Emmaus Lutheran Church fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA GPR 0266

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1929-1999 (Creation)
    Creator
    Emmaus Lutheran Church

Physical description area

Physical description

.5 cm textual records
39 photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1929-present)

Administrative history

Emmaus Lutheran Congregation in the North Kleskun District was officially organized on April 14, 1929. However, its beginnings go back to 1915 when the first German Luthern pioneers, the August Kirstien and Gregart families settled in the area. Others followed from 1919-1921. In the fall of 1921, Rev. O. Walther was located at Waterhole and served North Kleskun once a month, holding services at the homes of various families. In 1923, Rev. Theo Waack succeeded Pasor Walther and held services in the North Kleskun School. In 1926, Rev. Wildgrube organized the first formal congregation with a constitution and charter members Fred Weis, Edward Steinke, Louis Steinke, Fred Klein, Ian Maxwell and Joe Huber. In 1930 a church was built and land for a cemetery and church yard donated by Louis Steinke and by Christmas that year, the first Missouri synod Lutheran Church in the Peace Country became a reality. Pastors who served the church in the coming years included Rev. R.E. Luening, Rev. Fred Gabert, Candidate Alfred Miller, Candidate A. Pluntz, Student Walter Schienbein, Candidate H. Hafner, Rev. E. George Pearce, Rev. Adolf Bickel, Rev. Edwin Regal, Vicar Donald Lutz, Rev. Kurt Bickel, Rev. Eldon Ohlinger, and Rev. Gordon Schultz. In 1935 a parsonage was completed and used until 1946. A Christian Day School opened in 1932 and terminated in 1943 with amalgamation with the North Kleskun Public School. During the sixties, the ladies of the congregation formed a branch of the Luthern Women's Missionary League which was later disbanded. The church still maintains a congregation in 1979.

Custodial history

The records were deposited in South Peace Regional Archives by Phyllis Johnson in 2006 and by Marian Steinke in 2008.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of two small booklets and 39 copies of photographs detailing the history of the Emmaus Lutheran Church in the North Kleskun district east of Sexsmith, AB. The booklets celebrate the 50th anniversary of the church in 1979 and the dedication of the new church in 1994. Also included are copies of the Constitution in German and English, legal documents, copies of minutes 1929-1999, copies of the register of baptisms, marriages, and deaths (1916-2008); confirmations, cemetery records, miscellaneous documents and history notes and a bulletin from the Lutheran Women's Missionary League.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

The records were deposited in South Peace Regional Archives by Phyllis Johnson in 2006 and by Marian Steinke in 2008.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No accruals are expected.

Alpha-numeric designations

Accession numbers: 2006.080; 2008.81

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

0266

Institution identifier

South Peace Regional Archives

Rules or conventions

Level of detail

Partial

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres