Fonds uofc-1251 - Faculty of Arts and Science fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Faculty of Arts and Science fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of records.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

UOFC uofc-1251

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1961-1976 (Creation)
    Creator
    University of Calgary. Faculty of Arts and Science

Physical description area

Physical description

39 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The University of Alberta Faculty of Arts and Science opened a branch in Calgary in 1951 and offered the first years of a BA or BSc degree. This event added to the U of A's presence in Calgary: Calgary Normal had become a branch of the U of A's Faculty of Education in 1945 and offered a second year of BA or BSc in 1959 and full degrees in 1960. Indicative of the growing autonomy of the University of Alberta, Calgary, the Faculty gained its own head, as did its departments, by ca 1963. Until ca. 1968, degrees offered by the Faculty were of three years in duration. In 1969, the General Faculties Council approved the addition of a four year program. In 1976, the Faculty was divided into the faculties of Humanities, Science and Social Sciences and the University College. In April 2010, a new Faculty of Arts was created by combining all departments from the Faculties of Humanities, Social Sciences, Fine Arts and Communication and Culture.

Custodial history

The records of the Faculty of Arts and Science were largely destroyed upon the dissolution of the Faculty. Material in this fonds has been brought together from the following sources: Department of English; Dr. P. Browne, Department of Mathematics; Dr. Cyril Challice; John A. Baker, Department of Philosophy; and collected by the University Archives from unknown sources.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of minutes, agendas, correspondence, reports, proposals and related material. The fonds is arranged into four series: (1) Faculty of Arts and Science Council (2) Faculty of Arts and Science Executive Council (3) Committees (4) Correspondence.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

The records are arranged in chronological and alphabetical order. Original order maintained except with some artificial order in the committee and correspondence series.

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Some files are restricted due to personal information and must be screened.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

File list available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Record No. UARC 85.044, 92.040, 92.044, 92.057, 2008.064<br><br>

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Level of detail

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area