Title and statement of responsibility area
Foothills Hospital fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of records.
Level of description
CA crha crha-2031
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Foothills Hospital (Calgary, Alta.)
Physical description area
15 m of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Foothills Provincial General Hospital was established by an Order-in-Council dated July 18, 1959. It was to operate according to Section 3 of the Provincial General Hospitals Act (RSA, Chapter 64, 1959). A seven-member Board of Management was appointed by the Minister of Health and drafted the first by-laws of the hospital on July 25, 1960. These by-laws were approved by the Minister on September 9,1960. The first activities of the Board were construction of the hospital and determination of the types of service required by the community. The Foothills Hospital was officially opened June 10, 1966. It was considered a unique enterprise in North America because it was a complete hospital built all at one time. It was meant to serve all of Southern Alberta, with 700 beds in the general hospital and 100 in the chronic hospital. It offered surgery, neurosurgery, gynecology, obstetrics, pediatrics, rehabilitation, psychiatry and medicine services. The hospital also provided educational facilities to medical students, student nurses and technical medical programs such as rehabilitation. In 1995 the Foothills Board of Management was dissolved and the site became part of the acute care sector of the Calgary Regional Health Authority.
These records were stored in basement of the Foothills Hospital, and in the files of the Medical Staff Office at Foothills. They were moved first to the Bow Valley Centre and then, in April 1997, to the CRHA Archives at the Colonel Belcher Hospital.
Scope and content
These records consist of Board of Management records 1960-1995, general administrative records 1961-93, President's Office records 1959-1994 and Medical Committee Records 1964-1993. These records document the founding and construction of the hospital, the operating mandates, by-laws, policies and procedures related to administering a large urban teaching hospital, and changes and developments in medical practices over the past three decades.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Restrictions are noted within series descriptions.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Foothills Hospital (Calgary, Alta.) (Subject)