Title and statement of responsibility area
Frederick George Hulmes fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on content of records.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Photocopied in 1993 (originally created 1992) (Creation)
- Hulmes, George Frederick
Physical description area
0.25 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Frederick George Hulmes was born in 1934, the son of Fred and Winnifred (nee Armstrong) Hulmes. George attended school in Medicine Hat, at Riverside and Alexandra High Schools. He later went on to the University of Alberta where he completed his B.A. and Masters Degree. He spent a year at the London School of Economics before becoming a professor at the University of Alberta in Edmonton. He received his Ph.D. in Political Science at the University of Alberta in 1970. Mr. Hulmes served overseas with the Canadian Armed Forces in Germany. Following his service, George later accepted a position with the Department of Finance in Ottawa. Mr. Hulmes is not married. He has served on the Board of Trustees of the former Medicine Hat Museum and Art Gallery.
Name of creator
The Armstrong family, headed by father Robert Goodfellow Armstrong and mother Euphemia (nee Miller), are among the early pioneering families to settle in the Medicine Hat area. Robert Armstong, having graduated from the Veterinary School at Agricultural Hall, Toronto, in June 1872, also attained the rank of Captain in the militia, and was also referred to as "Doc" or "Captain". Married on June 26, 1876, the Armstrong's were blessed with five children; Peter Robert (1877-1926), Katherine Somerville (1878-1963), George Miller (1880-1965), William Goodfellow (1882-1968), and Fannie Elizabeth (born and died March 28, 1890). In 1893, Euphemia Armstrong passed away. Robert later remarried to Elizabeth (nee Callard) (1870-1938), and two more Armstrong children were born; John Edward (1909-1961), and Marjorie Helena (1911-?). The exact year which the Armstrong's moved west is unclear. It is believed that the eldest son, Peter, came to the Fort Walsh area around 1895, seeking employment with horse ranchers who were known by his father. George, William and Katherine soon followed, (ca 1897). Their father eventually applied for homestead near Reesor Lake on Sec. 32, Tnsp. 8, Rg. 1, W4th, in 1900. By 1906, the elder Armstrong abandoned the Cypress Hills ranch, and relocated to Macklin, Saskatchewan. By 1918, the Armstrong parents had returned to their original property in Ontario. Brothers Peter, George and William were employed with several Cypress Hills ranchers, among them were Sam and William Fawcett of the East and West Ranch. Vowing to keep the family together, sister Katherine helped to maintain house and home until her marriage to Frederick McLaughlin in June 16, 1906. Eventually, the brothers married; Peter to Etta Porter in June 1923, George to Annie Zwick in November 2, 1922, and Will to Winnifreth Beal Browne in 1913, and later to Helen Margery Browne, in 1949. William took up farming at Central Butte, Saskatchewan. In 1913, Peter and George became owners of the East and West Ranch. Following Peter's death in 1926, George assumed the responsibilities of the entire ranch until his three sons, Robert, Peter and Arnold took over in 1947. This partnership was dissolved in 1982. Peter still manages the "home place", while brother Robert, manages his Bassano land.
Name of creator
Scope and content
The fonds consists of: a history of the James Arthur Armstrong family by George Hulmes (1992).
Immediate source of acquisition
Gift of George Hulmes, September 24, 1993.
Language of material
- Materials are in English.
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Record No. M93.25.1<br><br>