Área de título y declaración de responsabilidad
Harris Family fonds
Tipo general de material
- Documento textual
- Material cartogrÃ¡fico
Otra información de título
Título declaración de responsabilidad
- Fuente del tÃtulo: Title based on contents of fonds.
Nivel de descripción
Código de referencia
CA GPR 0662
Área de edición
Declaración de edición
Declaración de responsabilidad de edición
Área de detalles específicos de la clase de material
Mención de la escala (cartográfica)
Mención de proyección (cartográfica)
Mención de coordenadas (cartográfica)
Mención de la escala (arquitectónica)
Jurisdicción de emisión y denominación (filatélico)
Área de fechas de creación
- Harris Family
Área de descripción física
22.5 cm of textual records
Área de series editoriales
Título apropiado de las series del editor
Títulos paralelos de serie editorial
Otra información de título de las series editoriales
Declaración de responsabilidad relativa a las series editoriales
Numeración dentro de la serie editorial
Nota en las series editoriales
Área de descripción del archivo
Nombre del productor
The Harris family was from Essex, England where father William Harris had a green grocery in the Borough Market, which was located at the south end of London Bridge in Southwark. William and his wife Beatrice Neal had five children, Leslie, Rodolph, Marjorie, Peter, and Humphrey. As the Harris children grew up, they left to explore opportunities further afield.
In 1926 Leslie and Rodolph ‘Rowe’ arrived in Edmonton and the following year Leslie journeyed to the Peace Country. Leslie’s first purchase of farm land was the NW 35-70-10-W6 in the Two Rivers area. Rowe arrived in 1928 and the brothers decided to start a joint farming venture which they aptly called Harris Bros. For the next 28 years Harris Bros. farm grew until 1956 when the brothers started farming on their own.
Rowe Harris married Margaret McKane Watt; together they had four children, Mary Aitken, Beatrice Jean, William Peter, and Rosaline Nena. Rowe was an ordained lay reader and very involved at St. Luke’s Anglican Church in Beaverlodge. Rowe also supported the Red Willow Camp and the Seniors’ centre in Beaverlodge. His son William Peter along with his family are now running the family farm in Appleton.
Leslie married Doris Irving in 1934; she had arrived in the area the year before to teach at Two Rivers school. Leslie was active in the community; he served on the Two Rivers school board and was involved with the planning of the Beaverlodge Hospital, Community Centre. He also became involved with the UFA. Leslie’s son Neal, a teacher, took over operating the farm from his father.
Over the years the Harris Bros. at one time or another had each of their siblings working in some capacity on the farm.
When sister Marjorie arrived, she stayed with the brothers and after a time married neighbour Alex Watt. Alex served with the Calgary Tanks in WWII as a mechanic. Marjorie and Alex had five children and for a time operated a tour company in Banff, Alberta.
Peter Gambell Harris was the last of the Harris children to arrive to the area. Peter brought his wife Thirza, and children Patricia and Trevor in 1948. In England, Peter and Thirza had worked as entertainers so after arriving and settling in the Appleton area Peter sought work in that field, giving piano lessons to locals and he became a member of a band that played at local dances. Peter and his son Trevor started the Beaverlodge Advertiser, which Trevor took over and ran for many years. Peter left the area to attend theology school in London, Ontario and served in Fort McMurray. Their daughter Patricia joined the RAF, becoming an Adjutant when she was stationed in Northern Ontario.
Humphrey Harris also worked on the farm for a bit but eventually moved to B.C. where he joined the merchant navy and traveled around the world. He also worked for the B.C. Ferries and as a meteorologist for British Columbia.
There are many descendants of the Harris families still living in the Beaverlodge area
Historial de custodia
Alcance y contenido
The fonds consists of the records from the Harris family from Beaverlodge. Included in the records are a diary belonging to Peter Harris, music books and a series of maps and plans related to Harris family activities.
Área de notas
Origen del ingreso
Idioma del material
Escritura del material
Ubicación de los originales
Disponibilidad de otros formatos
Restricciones de acceso
Condiciones de uso, reproducción, y publicación
Instrumentos de descripción
A finding aid is available at http://southpeacearchives.org/holdings-2/finding-aids/fonds-662-harris-family-fonds/
The records were donated along with records from the Beaverlodge Advertiser. The newspaper records including the Beaverlodge & Grande Prairie Advertiser are now fonds 661.
Accession numbers: 2014.012 ; 2015.29 ; 2014.20
Área de número estándar
Puntos de acceso
Puntos de acceso por materia
Puntos de acceso por lugar
Puntos de acceso por autoridad
Tipo de puntos de acceso
Área de control
Identificador de registro de descripción
Identificador de la institución
South Peace Regional Archives
Reglas o convenciones
Nivel de detalle
Idioma de descripción