Hermit Lake School

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Hermit Lake School

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence



Hermit Lake School District was formed in 1916 and an elected Board of Trustees began planning to build a school. Two acres of land in the south-east corner of Bill Grant's farm were purchased at $.25 an acre. The school was built by William Sharp and finished in time for classes to start in March, 1917, with Mrs. Molly Sharp, Bill's wife, as the first teacher. Some of the earliest families attending the school were the Jebbs, Cranstons, Kennedys, Fergusons, Aikens and Andersons. Teachers who taught at the school at its original location include:;Mrs. Sharp, Major Tawney, Miss Emmet, Miss Kerr, Miss Nettie Sharp, Miss Moffat, Miss E. Holmes, Miss Rea Chambers, Miss Lena Morden, and Miss Thelma Fisher. In 1928 the school was moved to a new location on the SE-5-72-7-W6 purchased from Fred Evans. School Board trustees included Bill Grant, Rollie Wood, Bill Mc Levin, Leo Ferguson, Alex Ross, Elmer Gillespie, and Ken Anderson Sr. In June, 1956, Hermit Lake School was closed and students transferred to Wembley, Lake Saskatoon, or Grande Prairie County School.


Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points


Control area

Authority record identifier


Institution identifier

South Peace Regional Archives

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion




Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places