Title and statement of responsibility area
Hillside School District No. 702 fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on content of fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Hillside School District No. 702
Physical description area
40 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Hillside School District No. 702 was organized in 1902 and classes at the one-room Hillside School commenced in 1903. John Rieck was elected as trustee, with L.W. Bucher as chairman and M.J. Howes as Secretary-Treasurer. The name "Plesant Hill" was suggested by Bucher for the new district, however the name was rejected by the Department of Education and Hillside was chosen to replace it. T.W. Featherstone gave one acre on the S.E. corner of his property as a site for the new school and he was paid $30 to clear it and another $112 to construct it. In 1939 the Alberta school system was reorganized and the District became part of Wetaskiwin School Division No. 36. Hillside School was closed in 1954.
After the closure of Hillside School, the school building and the records came into the possession of the Hillside Community Club. The records were donated to the Millet and District Historical Society by the Club in 1986 (Accession No. 86.70). Another group of records were discovered in an abandoned outbuilding and donated in 2003.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of the Hillside School District's Minute Book (1902-1935), correspondence, Board of Trustee and Inspector's reports, financial records, Agreements with teachers, and the daily attendance registers of the school (1903-1950). Items enclosed with the registers, such as school censuses, transfer cards, and notes from parents, have been filed in separate folders.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
- The material is in English.
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
A29 Thomas Howes fonds
Record No. A-16<br><br>
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Hillside School District No. 702 (Subject)