Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Hook Signs Ltd., a sign painting and outdoor advertising company, was founded by Clyde A. Hook in 1912 in Edmonton. The company sold signs and outdoor advertising in Edmonton, Calgary, Lethbridge and many small southern Alberta towns. Hook was president and manager of the company until 1935. His sons, Watson and Arthur D., later became directors and officers of the company. Other influential officers were Maurice L. Brown, William Muir, and Morris J. Proskow. A number of the company's officers were active in the Poster Advertising Association of Canada. Hook Signs Ltd. grew to the extent that by the late 1930s its posters and bulletins were being produced nationally as well as locally. It also opened companies in other centres. Hook Signs (Calgary) Ltd. was established in 1932 when Hook Signs Ltd. purchased Ernest Willis Ltd. Hook Signs Ltd. also bought City Sign Works and Lethbridge Posting Company from Robert Barrowman in 1944, thereby establishing Hook Signs (Lethbridge) Ltd. Hook Signs (Lethbridge) Ltd. bought Honald Signs Ltd., Medicine Hat from Leo Handerek in 1972. Hook Signs (Calgary) Ltd. and Hook Signs Ltd. amalgamated in 1979 forming Hook Outdoor Advertising Ltd. In 1980, it became part of the Jim Pattison Group (Vancouver). In 1998 the company changed its name to Pattison.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Access points area
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Record updated by Susan Kooyman, March 13, 2015.