Title and statement of responsibility area
Hugh Dixon Family fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
 -- 1953, copied 1987 (Creation)
- Dixon, Hugh
Physical description area
0.01 m of textual records. -- 1 photograph. -- 2 negatives.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Dr. Hugh Dixon was born December 28, 1887, to Chester and Mary Harriet Dixon (neé Dawson). He received his early education in Maple Creek, Saskatchewan, and later, attended school in Edmonton. Dr. Dixon graduated from the University of Toronto with a degree in Veterinary Medicine in 1910. He served in the Medical Corps of the Canadian Army in about 1915-1917. In June of 1917, Dr. Dixon was posted at Willow Creek as District Veterinarian and also worked part-time for Canada Customs. Dr. Dixon married Laura Ann (nee Uglum), in 1934. They had six children, two born while living in Willow Creek, the other 4, after a move to Shaunavon, Saskatchewan. The children all attended school in Shaunavon. Dr. Dixon helped establish the Western Veterinary College at the University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon. He was one of the first Canadians named to the Five North Western States Exposition Hall of Fame. He was a member of the Canadian Veterinary Association, Saskatchewan Hereford Breeders, Saskatchewan Light Horse, first President of the Mankota Stockmans Weight Co. Ltd., member of the Royal Canadian Legion, the United Church, the Shriners and was a Master Mason. Dr. Dixon passed away October 20, 1977. Dean Dixon was born December 11, 1947 in Shaunavon, Saskatchewan. He was the son of Hugh and Laura Ann (Uglum) Dixon. Dean was educated in Shaunavon. Later in life, Dean lived in Calgary, Alberta and was a pilot for the Home Oil Company Limited.
Name of creator
In the 1920's members of the Dixon family of Ontario came to Alberta to work as hired hands for harvest.
In 1987, Dean Dixon allowed the Provincial Archives of Alberta to make a copy of his records. The originals were returned to him. In 1991, the Provincial Archives of Alberta received a donation of material from the Medicine Hat Museum and Art Gallery. Mary Anne Haubrick, daughter to Hugh Dixon, had donated the material to the Medicine Hat Museum and Art Gallery.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of a pamphlet commemorating the 58th Anniversary of Edmonton General Hospital in 1953, images of Hugh and Dean Dixon dating from  by C.M. Tait, and an image of the Alberta College Literary Society presenting a mock trial of a breach of promise case.
Immediate source of acquisition
Material arranged according to original order.
Language of material
- The material is in English.
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access. Permission for use required. Subject to the Copyright Act.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
No inventory/file list available.
Further accruals are not expected.
Information for the administrative history/biographical sourced from the Dr. Hugh Dixon fonds description at the Esplanade Archives. The images can be located in the A file of the Provincial Archives of Alberta reference prints under the numbers A.15,784 and A.15,785.<br><br>Record No. The fonds includes the following accessions: PR1987.0427, PR1991.0243<br><br>