Dr. Lloyd Austin ran a religious commune on his homestead on the NE6-71-5-W6, southeast of the City of Grande Prairie. This land was homesteaded by Dr. Lloyd Austin ca. 1930 and turned over to Billy Blair after the Austins left the area.
William “Billy” Blair was born in 1886. He worked as a camp cook for Henry Selby, who surveyed land east of the fifth meridian, in 1905.
William Blair died in 1995 and is buried in the Grande Prairie Cemetery.
The material in this collection contains records related to Dr. Lloyd Austin’s religious commune.
The record consists of 15 photographs of the dilapidated buildings of a religious commune located on the NE 6-71-5-W6, on the banks of Bear Creek south-east of the City and one 40-minute oral history.
The fonds consists of photographs from Grouard and High Prairie and include images of the Grouard main street, the Indian Agents Quarters and Police Barracks at Grouard, the Grouard school, a bridge at High Prairie, the loading of hay on to a train at High Prairie, the Canadian Bank of Commerce at High Prairie, and window display of Cree artifacts, and postcards from Big Point of an Indigenous family along with tipi and log building, the Grouard Mission and the Grouard main street.
The fonds consists of materials created by the Calgary Branch of the Alberta Genealogical Society between 1976 and 1979. The fonds consists of cemetery listings for the Airdrie Cemetery, the Wesley Band Cemetery at Morley, the Pine Creek Cemetery, the Cochrane Cemetery, the Haneyville Cemetery, and the Stoney Nakoda First Nation Reserve Cemetery.
The fonds consists of copies of reports on Grande Cache, Alberta land development dating from the 1970s as well as correspondence relating to land claims in the Grand Cache area dating from the 1980s. The fonds also includes a report prepared by Carcajou Research Limited evaluating the public health, social community, economy, government, geography, administration, population, and organization of the Kehewin Cree Nation Reserve #123 from 1971-1979, published in 1980.
The fonds consists of materials created or collected by the Alberta Genealogical Society and dating from 1885-2000. The fonds consists of seven series: Administrative and Operational Records (1973-2007); President’s Records (1975-2001); Publications (1973-1995); Occasional Papers and Seminars (1983-1994); Cemeteries Listings (1974-2004); Library Records (1979-2006); Scrapbooks and Clippings (1885-1990).
The fonds consists of one article entitled "Athabasca Landing Ferry, (1906-1951)." The ferry service in Athabasca Landing began in 1906. In 1934 a cable cage system was installed as an auxiliary service to the ferry. When a bridge across the Athabasca River opened in 1952 the ferry service was discontinued. The article is illustrated with photographs, newspaper articles and crossing statistics. The cassette includes information on researching the history of the Town of Athabasca. A donation of seven books includes David Leonard's Peace River series: The Lure of the Peace Country 1872 – 1914, David Leonard and Victoria Lemieux: 1992. Delayed Frontier: The Peace River Country to 1909, David W. Leonard, 1995. The Last Great West: The Agricultural Settlement of the Peace River Country to 1914, David W. Leonard, 2005. Margot Kindt, "The Town of Athabasca," 1986. Framed print.