Showing 2454 results

Archival description
Land, settlement and immigration*
Print preview View:

1438 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Wozniak family fonds

  • CA GPR 0279
  • Fonds
  • 1890-2015

The fonds consists of a few personal papers belonging to Antoni and Maria Wozniak; the memoirs of Maria (Parachin) Wozniak written in Polish in 1958 and translated by her son, Matthew; Maria’s diary of a trip back to Poland in 1986; letters written home by the six Wozniak children; photographs of the family, the farm, and the community; stories written by Mathew about his life and memories; and a collection of 8 mm film taken by Mathew Wozniak during the 1960s and 70s.

Wozniak (family)

Summer Villages of Waiparous and Ghost Lake fonds

  • PAA PR3813
  • Fonds
  • 1968 - 2015

The fonds consist of administrative records of both Villages, which include: financial statements, board and council minutes, public hearing minutes, newsletters, tax a d roll ledgers, assessment cards, budgets, and incorporation documents.

Summer Villages of Waiparous & Ghost Lake

John Tobias Fonds

  • PAA PR3825
  • Fonds
  • 1964 - 2013

The fonds contains research papers, lecture notes, research notes taken for his dissertation, papers from Tobias’ teaching career at Red Deer College, court case files from his time as a subject matter advisor, high school memorabilia, and recordings of lectures and presentations.

Tobias, John

One Room Schools collection

  • CA MILO ORS
  • Collection
  • 2009 - 2013

Since 1908, the area around Milo has been home to 14 one-room schools. School districts were established when a group of three or more ratepayers petitioned the Provincial Ministry of Education, and there generally had to be at least five eligible students within a 4-5 mile radius.

The first one-room schools in the area were established at Queenstown (April 1908) and Pioneer (June 1908), and they were quickly followed by Liberty (1909), Corbie Hill and Willard (1910), Lake McGregor (1912) and Eastway (1913). East Majorville was established in 1917 (though it didn’t open until 1920), then Giffen and Kirkdale (1918), Fawn Hill (1919), Rocky Buttes (1921), Sunny Lake (1922) and finally Robertson (1928). Enrollment at the schools ranged from five to twenty-five students, and occasionally if the numbers dropped too low, a school might close for a year until enrollment increased. Since many of the students travelled long distances each day, schools were often closed when the weather was bad, with the missed time being made up in the summer. Closures due to epidemics lasted anywhere from a few weeks to several months. Most schools offered grades 1-8, after which students who wanted to continue their education had to travel to – or board in – a larger community. In 1926 Queenstown School moved into town and became a two-room school, going through to grade 12.

Corbie Hill and Kirkdale were the first of the one-room schools to close, both in 1937, and in 1938 supervision of the remaining schools was taken over by Bow Valley School Division #43. Consolidation became the guiding principle, and by the end of World War II the only one-room school left in the Milo area was East Majorville, which closed in 1952. A van was used to transport the children from Pioneer, Liberty and Rocky Buttes School Districts into Milo.

The collection consists of Minute Books, Daily Registers, correspondence and Assessments and Tax Rolls from some of the one-room school districts in the Milo area.

The collection has been arranged into the following series: Bow Valley School Division #43, Liberty, Pioneer, Rocky Buttes.

Summer Village of Island Lake fonds

  • PAA PR3816
  • Fonds
  • 1958-2010

The records include municipal governance, planning and administrative records including tax documents, property files, financial reports, cash ledgers, minutes, correspondence, environmental studies and development proposals, and other similar documents. These serve as evidence of the regular activities and history of The Summer Village of Island Lake since its incorporation in 1958.

Summer Village of Island Lake

Jillian Wright fonds

  • CA GPR 0680
  • Fonds
  • 2010

This fonds contains records collected or created by Jillian Wright for her research about surveyors and early pioneers in the Peace Region.

These records consist of two copies of the booklets written by Jillian and copies of the newspaper articles the booklet was based upon.

Wright, Jillian

Grande Prairie and District Old Timers' Association

  • CA GPR 0287
  • Fonds
  • 1910-2010

The fonds consists of executive records such as constitution and by-laws, legal agreements and insurance records; membership lists and applications for original and succeeding members in the Old Timers' Association; financial records beginning with the first cheque issued by the organization; correspondence and activity files; material related to special events; and files for the creation of "Pioneers of the Peace", a book they published in 1976. There are also some copies of placemats used at the Old-Timers' Banquets, two over-sized posters, one listing the executive members over the years and one listing the scholarship donors and recipients; and a photograph album (ca. 1910-1915) containing photographs from the collection of W.D. Albright.

Grande Prairie and District Old Timers' Association

CHCA television

  • RED MG 574 CHCA fonds
  • Fonds
  • 1940-2009

Fonds consists of the administrative and operational records created, accumulated and used by CHCA television in their activities creating, recording, and editing television broadcasts for Red Deer and area.

Records include video tapes, photographs, negatives, slides, documents, contact sheets, and miscellaneous documents relating to C.H.C.A. Television and R.D.T.V. Topics include local sports, rodeo (local and around the province, Makin' 8 series), protests and strikes, crime, fundraisers and events, and local businesses. Some videos also include national and international news and sports, including NHL highlight reels.

No series assignment has been applied to the fonds.

CHCA Television

Lavern Kurpjuweit Family fonds

  • CA MED 796
  • Fonds
  • 1930-2009

Fonds consist of: 2 school workbooks having had belonged to Lavern Kurpjuweit and sister, Evelyn (1930); 2 written histories of Ferdinand Kurpjuweit's settlement in Seven Persons District and the Kurpjuweit family written by Lavern Kurpjuweit, 20 images accompany these histories.

Kurpjuweit (family)

Results 1 to 10 of 2454