Showing 1 results

Archival description
Jasper Yellowhead Historical Society, collector Religion
Print preview View:

Jasper Yellowhead Historical Society Historian's photograph collection

  • JAS jas-2562
  • Collection
  • 1886-1979

The collection consists of photographs pertaining to the history of Jasper. Includes views of many of the residents as well as the activities they were involved in day to day; employment, schools, churches, hospital, sports, clubs and organizations. Also includes views of famous visitors to Jasper: King George VI and Queen Elizabeth (1939), Governor General Athlone and his wife Lady Athlone [1942-1943], Governor General Alexander and his wife (1947), Governor General Vincent Massey (1952), Prime Minister Louie St. Laurent [between 1948-1957] and Pierre Elliot Trudeau (1967-68). The collection also consists of photographs of various buildings in the Jasper town site and surrounding area (1900-1960). Included are: Jasper Rooms, Clint's Pony Barn, Astoria Hotel, Pyramid Hotel, Jasper Post Office, Otto's Store, Otto's Hall, Otto Brother's Garage, Athabasca Hotel, Jeffery Store, Jasper Legion, Jasper Motors, McDowell Store, Totem Service Station, Save-rite Grocery Store, Dr. O'Hagan's home and medical clinic, the Jasper schools, Spero's Hall, Jasper National Park Administration Building, Fred Brewster Building, Markell's barber shop, Pocahontas, Miette Hot Springs, Snapes Hill, YMCA camp, Jasper Park Lodge and various residences. The collection also contains views of fire fighting (1910-1930); Jasper National Park employees (1931 and 1940's); the internment camp at Old Fort Point (1916); the isolation hospital at Old Fort Point (1910's); early automobiles in JNP (1920's); various bridges including Miette, Cottonwood and the Athabsca; the rock quarry east of Jasper (1920's); a moose team pulling a wagon (1898) and the Anglican, United and Catholic churches and clergy. Included in the collection is a series of photographs relating to the railway: railroad accidents [1915-1930]; railroad station (1910-1940); the lobstick cut during railway surveying (1935-1960); Foley Welch & Stewart railroad construction depot (1913); and the Jasper rail yard, coal docks and water tower.

Jasper Yellowhead Historical Society, collector