Jasper Junior / Senior High School

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

Jasper Junior / Senior High School

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence


Jasper's first school in 1914 was a tar paper shack that had once served as the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway contractor's temporary office. It was soon torn down and the children were taught in a tent until a one room school house was built later that year. This became known as Cox School after Henry Cox made it his residence. The school had by then grown and the Board rented space in a series of buildings, including the Roman Catholic mission building and the Canadian Legion Hall. In 1924, railway employees were transfered from Lucerne to Jasper, prompting a need for a bigger school. A four room school was built by the Edmonton architect, A.M. Calderon in 1925, to which various additions were made over the years. In 1953, the Junior/Senior High School was completed, followed by the Elementary School in 1963. The first school teachers in Jasper included Lillian Taylor, Mel Taylor, Dora Doyle and Nora Findlay (Brooks).


Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points


Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Jasper Yellowhead Museum and Archives

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion




Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places