Collection jas-2539 - Jasper Yellowhead Historical Society Fitzhugh photograph collection

James Oliver Curwood (the author) playing store with the George girls at Fitzhugh, Jasper Nationa... The George girls at Fitzhugh, Jasper National Park, Alberta. Children at Fitzhugh, Jasper National Park, Alberta. Engineer's camp at Fitzhugh, Jasper National Park, Alberta. Group of people (names unknown) at Fitzhugh, Jasper National Park, Alberta. View of Fitzhugh, Jasper National Park, Alberta. Mrs. F. J. George on horseback in Fitzhugh, Jasper National Park, Alberta. The George girls with their teacher Miss Easton at Fitzhugh, Jasper National Park, Alberta. The Grand Trunk Pacific Railway Engineer's Camp at Fitzhugh, Jasper National Park, Alberta. Margaret and Mary George with a Scandinavian visitor at Fitzhugh, Jasper National Park, Alberta.
Results 1 to 10 of 28 Show all

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Jasper Yellowhead Historical Society Fitzhugh photograph collection

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the collection.

Level of description

Collection

Reference code

JAS jas-2539

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • [1911-1927] (Creation)
    Creator
    Jasper Yellowhead Historical Society, collector

Physical description area

Physical description

32 photographs : b&w prints

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The Jasper Historical Society was formed in 1963 by a group of interested members that included Fred Brewster, Constance Peterson as the first historian and Mel Taylor as the first president. The Society was later named the Jasper Yellowhead Historical Society (JYHS). The Society was incorporated in 1977. Monthly meetings included guest speakers, films, field trips relating to local and national history. The objectives of the Society are to encourage the study of the history of Alberta in general and Jasper in particular; and to locate, preserve and mark the local points of historical interest. The first archives and Society office was established in the Municipal Library in 1974. Planning for a permanent Museum and Archives began in 1978; in 1985 a partially completed building on Pyramid Lake Road was purchased and renovated. The Archives moved into the lower floor in 1990; the Museum opened on the upper floor in 1992. The Jasper Yellowhead Museum and Archives reports to the Board of Directors of the Society.

Custodial history

In the early 1960s the Jasper Yellowhead Historical Society began collecting photographs on various subjects pertaining to Jasper's history. These photographs relating to the town of Fitzhugh were gathered from various sources to form this collection.

Scope and content

The collection consists of photographs of the town of Fitzhugh, its residents and visitors. Includes views of the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway engineers camp on Snapes Hill. Also includes views of the town as late as 1927 when it was known as Jasper. People included are: James Oliver Curwood, Emerson Hough, Flave George Jr., Margaret George, Mary George, Mr. and Mrs. F. J. George, Miss Easton (governess), Ida Burnett, B.B. Kelliher, W.T. Carey, Miss Minnie Davidson, Mrs. J. S. Robson, Joan Robson and T. R. Buckham, Mr. and Mrs. F.J. Whyte and their children, Frank Sayer, Fred Cochrane, Jim Fahey, Jim Jefferson and Mr. Davis.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Item level description available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Near the end of 1910 the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway established a divisional point at mile 112 (as measured from the Mcleod River), near a plateau between the Miette and Athabasca Rivers. It was called Fitzhugh after the vice-president and general manager of the railway, E. H. Fitzhugh. By 1911 the Canadian government had decided to make Fitzhugh the administration center for Jasper National Park. The town survey completed in mid 1913 was approved one year later. Development of the town began in earnest during the summer of 1913. The first change was to rename the town Jasper, the name by which it is known today.<br><br>Record No. ID94<br><br>

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Level of detail

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related places

Related genres