Collection jas-2556 - Jasper Yellowhead Historical Society Japanese Alpine Club photograph collection

Members of the Japanese Mount Alberta Expedition at the Jasper Park Lodge, Jasper National Park, ... Members of the Japanese Mount Alberta Expedition at the Jasper Park Lodge, Jasper National Park, ... Members of the Japanese Mount Alberta Expedition at the Jasper Park Lodge, Jasper National Park, ...

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Jasper Yellowhead Historical Society Japanese Alpine Club photograph collection

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the collection

Level of description

Collection

Reference code

JAS jas-2556

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1925 (Creation)
    Creator
    Jasper Yellowhead Historical Society, collector

Physical description area

Physical description

3 photographs : b&w prints

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The Jasper Historical Society was formed in 1963 by a group of interested members that included Fred Brewster, Constance Peterson as the first historian and Mel Taylor as the first president. The Society was later named the Jasper Yellowhead Historical Society (JYHS). The Society was incorporated in 1977. Monthly meetings included guest speakers, films, field trips relating to local and national history. The objectives of the Society are to encourage the study of the history of Alberta in general and Jasper in particular; and to locate, preserve and mark the local points of historical interest. The first archives and Society office was established in the Municipal Library in 1974. Planning for a permanent Museum and Archives began in 1978; in 1985 a partially completed building on Pyramid Lake Road was purchased and renovated. The Archives moved into the lower floor in 1990; the Museum opened on the upper floor in 1992. The Jasper Yellowhead Museum and Archives reports to the Board of Directors of the Society.

Custodial history

In the early 1960s the Jasper Yellowhead Historical Society began collecting photographs on various subjects pertaining to Jasper's history. These photographs relating to the Japanese Alpine Club were gathered from various sources to form this collection.

Scope and content

The collection consists of photographs of the members Japanese Alpine Club at Jasper Park Lodge and the Brewster stable.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • The material is in English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Item level description available

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

In 1925 a team of climbers from the Japanese Alpine Club made the first ascent of Mt. Alberta. The group included; Yuko Maki, S. Hashimoto, N. Okabe, Y. Mita, T. Hayakawa and M. Hatano. They left behind an ice axe along with a record of the climb. In 1948 a group of Americans on the second ascent of Mt. Alberta retrieved the upper section of the axe and donated it to the American Alpine Club Museum. In 1995 it was passed on to the Jasper Yellowhead Museum and Archives. The bottom half was retrieved by another party of Japanese climbers in 1965. In August 2000 a ceremony was held to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the first ascent. At this time the two pieces were brought together. They are now both in the possession of the Jasper Yellowhead Museum and Archives.<br><br>Record No. ID98<br><br>

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Level of detail

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area