Collection jas-2556 - Jasper Yellowhead Historical Society Japanese Alpine Club photograph collection

Members of the Japanese Mount Alberta Expedition at the Jasper Park Lodge, Jasper National Park, ... Members of the Japanese Mount Alberta Expedition at the Jasper Park Lodge, Jasper National Park, ... Members of the Japanese Mount Alberta Expedition at the Jasper Park Lodge, Jasper National Park, ...

Zone du titre et de la mention de responsabilité

Titre propre

Jasper Yellowhead Historical Society Japanese Alpine Club photograph collection

Dénomination générale des documents

Titre parallèle

Compléments du titre

Mentions de responsabilité du titre

Notes du titre

  • Source du titre propre: Title based on contents of the collection

Niveau de description

Collection

Cote

JAS jas-2556

Zone de l'édition

Mention d'édition

Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition

Zone des précisions relatives à la catégorie de documents

Mention d'échelle (cartographique)

Mention de projection (cartographique)

Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)

Mention d'échelle (architecturale)

Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)

Zone des dates de production

Date(s)

  • 1925 (Production)
    Producteur
    Jasper Yellowhead Historical Society, collector

Zone de description matérielle

Description matérielle

3 photographs : b&w prints

Zone de la collection

Titre propre de la collection

Titres parallèles de la collection

Compléments du titre de la collection

Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection

Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection

Note sur la collection

Zone de la description archivistique

Nom du producteur

Notice biographique

The Jasper Historical Society was formed in 1963 by a group of interested members that included Fred Brewster, Constance Peterson as the first historian and Mel Taylor as the first president. The Society was later named the Jasper Yellowhead Historical Society (JYHS). The Society was incorporated in 1977. Monthly meetings included guest speakers, films, field trips relating to local and national history. The objectives of the Society are to encourage the study of the history of Alberta in general and Jasper in particular; and to locate, preserve and mark the local points of historical interest. The first archives and Society office was established in the Municipal Library in 1974. Planning for a permanent Museum and Archives began in 1978; in 1985 a partially completed building on Pyramid Lake Road was purchased and renovated. The Archives moved into the lower floor in 1990; the Museum opened on the upper floor in 1992. The Jasper Yellowhead Museum and Archives reports to the Board of Directors of the Society.

Historique de la conservation

In the early 1960s the Jasper Yellowhead Historical Society began collecting photographs on various subjects pertaining to Jasper's history. These photographs relating to the Japanese Alpine Club were gathered from various sources to form this collection.

Portée et contenu

The collection consists of photographs of the members Japanese Alpine Club at Jasper Park Lodge and the Brewster stable.

Zone des notes

État de conservation

Source immédiate d'acquisition

Classement

Langue des documents

  • The material is in English

Écriture des documents

Localisation des originaux

Disponibilité d'autres formats

Restrictions d'accès

There are no restrictions on access

Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication

Instruments de recherche

Item level description available

Éléments associés

Éléments associés

Accroissements

Note générale

In 1925 a team of climbers from the Japanese Alpine Club made the first ascent of Mt. Alberta. The group included; Yuko Maki, S. Hashimoto, N. Okabe, Y. Mita, T. Hayakawa and M. Hatano. They left behind an ice axe along with a record of the climb. In 1948 a group of Americans on the second ascent of Mt. Alberta retrieved the upper section of the axe and donated it to the American Alpine Club Museum. In 1995 it was passed on to the Jasper Yellowhead Museum and Archives. The bottom half was retrieved by another party of Japanese climbers in 1965. In August 2000 a ceremony was held to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the first ascent. At this time the two pieces were brought together. They are now both in the possession of the Jasper Yellowhead Museum and Archives.<br><br>Record No. ID98<br><br>

Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

Zone du numéro normalisé

Numéro normalisé

Mots-clés

Mots-clés - Sujets

Mots-clés - Lieux

Mots-clés - Genre

Zone du contrôle

Identifiant de la description du document

Identifiant du service d'archives

Règles ou conventions

Niveau de détail

Langue de la description

Langage d'écriture de la description

Sources

Zone des entrées

Lieux associés

Genres associés