Title and statement of responsibility area
Jasper Yellowhead Historical Society Lucerne Photograph Collection
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the collection.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1915-1950, predominant 1915-1924 (Creation)
- Jasper Yellowhead Historical Society, collector
Physical description area
46 photographs : b&w prints
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Jasper Historical Society was formed in 1963 by a group of interested members that included Fred Brewster, Constance Peterson as the first historian and Mel Taylor as the first president. The Society was later named the Jasper Yellowhead Historical Society (JYHS). The Society was incorporated in 1977. Monthly meetings included guest speakers, films, field trips relating to local and national history. The objectives of the Society are to encourage the study of the history of Alberta in general and Jasper in particular; and to locate, preserve and mark the local points of historical interest. The first archives and Society office was established in the Municipal Library in 1974. Planning for a permanent Museum and Archives began in 1978; in 1985 a partially completed building on Pyramid Lake Road was purchased and renovated. The Archives moved into the lower floor in 1990; the Museum opened on the upper floor in 1992. The Jasper Yellowhead Museum and Archives reports to the Board of Directors of the Society.
In the early 1960's the Jasper Yellowhead Historical Society began collecting photographs on various subjects pertaining to Jasper's history. These photographs relating to the town of Lucerne were gathered from various sources to form this collection.
Scope and content
The collection consists of photographs of the town of Lucerne, BC and it's residents. Many of the photographs pertain to the Canadian Northern Railway with views of; the rail yard, railroad station, roundhouse, water tower and employees. Also included are views of; the school, church groups, harvesting ice and baseball. The collection also consists of photos of the road west of Jasper which later became the Yellowhead Highway. One view is of the ruins of a Japanese Internment Camp.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
- The material is in English.
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level description available.
The town of Lucerne, BC, located 30 km west of Jasper, was the divisional point for the Canadian Northern Railway. By 1913 the construction of the rail line had reached Lucerne with the exception of two bridges. These were completed and the line was officially opened in 1915. Lucerne consisted of a train station, roundhouse, homes and businesses. It even had a ball diamond and pool hall. In 1923 the CNoR amalgamated with the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway. By 1924 it was decided to close the divisional point at Lucerne and move the railway's business and employees to Jasper, the divisional point for the GTP. Most of the businesses soon followed. Soon after there was very little left of the town of Lucerne. More than 250 people moved from Lucerne to Jasper.<br><br>Record No. ID131<br><br>
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
- Canadian Northern Railway (Subject)