Title and statement of responsibility area
Jasper Yellowhead Historical Society Pocahontas Photograph Collection
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the collection.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1909-1978, predominant 1910-1935 (Creation)
- Jasper Yellowhead Historical Society, collector
Physical description area
67 photographs ; b&w prints
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Jasper Historical Society was formed in 1963 by a group of interested members that included Fred Brewster, Constance Peterson as the first historian and Mel Taylor as the first president. The Society was later named the Jasper Yellowhead Historical Society (JYHS). The Society was incorporated in 1977. Monthly meetings included guest speakers, films, field trips relating to local and national history. The objectives of the Society are to encourage the study of the history of Alberta in general and Jasper in particular; and to locate, preserve and mark the local points of historical interest. The first archives and Society office was established in the Municipal Library in 1974. Planning for a permanent Museum and Archives began in 1978; in 1985 a partially completed building on Pyramid Lake Road was purchased and renovated. The Archives moved into the lower floor in 1990; the Museum opened on the upper floor in 1992. The Jasper Yellowhead Museum and Archives reports to the Board of Directors of the Society.
In the early 1960's the Jasper Yellowhead Historical Society began collecting photographs on various subjects pertaining to Jasper's history. These photographs relating to the town of Pocahontas were gathered from various sources to form this collection.
Scope and content
The collection consists of photographs of the town of Pocahontas, Alberta and surrounding areas. Includes views of the town, it's residents, the post office, the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway station and the Pocahontas cemetary. Also includes views of the Jasper Park Collieries mine, mine buildings and employees (1910-1921); the Fitzhugh Lime and Stone Co. quarry (1911-1914); Miette Hot Springs (1929-1934); buildings at Carrot Creek (before Aug 1914) and the trail across Disaster Point (1909).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
- The material is in English.
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level description available.
Pocahontas was the company town for Jasper Park Collieries (1910-1921) named for a successful coal mine in Virginia. The first official claim was made in 1908. Work started on the coal mine in 1910. By the time the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway arrived in Pocahontas (1911) they were ready to load coal. In addition to the mine related buildings the town had a post office, store, hotel, RCMP post, train station, pool hall and restaurant. They even had a playing field and tennis court. The mine closed in 1921 and the community dispersed. Not to far from town was the Miette Hot Springs. The first pool at the hot springs was a log structure built by miners (1919). In 1938 a new building and pool were constructed. At this time a road to the site was also completed. Previously the only access was on horseback. The 1938 pool was replaced in 1986 with the structure that is in use today.<br><br>Record No. ID154<br><br>