Title and statement of responsibility area
Jasper Yellowhead Historical Society Tete Jaune Cache Photograph Collection
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the collection.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1910-1972, predominant 1910-1913 (Creation)
- Jasper Yellowhead Historical Society, collector
Physical description area
22 photographs : b&w prints
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Jasper Historical Society was formed in 1963 by a group of interested members that included Fred Brewster, Constance Peterson as the first historian and Mel Taylor as the first president. The Society was later named the Jasper Yellowhead Historical Society (JYHS). The Society was incorporated in 1977. Monthly meetings included guest speakers, films, field trips relating to local and national history. The objectives of the Society are to encourage the study of the history of Alberta in general and Jasper in particular; and to locate, preserve and mark the local points of historical interest. The first archives and Society office was established in the Municipal Library in 1974. Planning for a permanent Museum and Archives began in 1978; in 1985 a partially completed building on Pyramid Lake Road was purchased and renovated. The Archives moved into the lower floor in 1990; the Museum opened on the upper floor in 1992. The Jasper Yellowhead Museum and Archives reports to the Board of Directors of the Society.
In the early 1960's the Jasper Yellowhead Historical Society began collecting photographs on various subjects pertaining to Jasper's history. These photographs relating to the town of Tete Jaune Cache were gathered from various sources to form this collection.
Scope and content
The collection consists of photographs of Tete Jaune Cache and area. Includes views of the town (1910-1913); the flood (1913); the Foley, Welch & Stewart Supply Depot (Aug 1912); various boats on the Fraser River (1912); and Buster Stopping House at Yellowhead Pass (1910-1911). Also contains photographs taken at a later date showing what was left of the town (196-? and 1972).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
- The material is in English.
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level description available.
Tete Jaune Cache started out as a tent town playing a major role in the construction of the two national railways (1910?), Canadian Northern and Grand Trunk Pacific. It was located at a natural crossroads at the head of navigation for the Fraser River. In it's hayday it had a population of 300 people. The Messer, Foley, Welsh and Stewart Dump (supply depot for railway construction) was located there. The original site of Tete Jaune Cache is now under the waters of the Fraser River. However a community with the same name is located nearby.<br><br>Record No. ID176<br><br>