Title and statement of responsibility area
John William Weir fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on content of records.
Level of description
CA MED med-172
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
[ca. 1880]-1948 (Creation)
- Weir, John William
Physical description area
8 cm of textual records. -- 4 photographs
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
John William Weir was born in DeBert, Nova Scotia, in 1891. His father Frank, and his brother Douglas, came to Medicine Hat and settled on a ranch in the Little Plume district around 1904. Later (ca. 1905), John and his mother Minnie followed with all of the household items, animals, etc. John's health was not good and it was hoped the change in climate would prove beneficial. Minnie's brother, Jay Vance, came later, and stayed with the Weir's until his death in 1949. Emma, John's sister, came west in 1906, seeking a teaching position, and eventually obtained a posting at Elkwater. She married Harry Parker and they had 3 children: Frank, Hal and Winnie (Mrs. Ward). Douglas later bought a ranch on the Milk River, at an unknown date. He married Jennie (nee O'Laughlin) in 1913. They had one daughter, Marie (Mrs. Edgar Turner). John Weir never married. It is unknown how long he ranched in the Little Plume district or when he retired and moved to Medicine Hat. He was a neighbour of Baxter McKinley, who said that John was a good neighbour and a nice person. John William Weir passed away September 29, 1970, at the age of 79, in Medicine Hat. He is buried in Hillside Cemetery. John's mother, Minnie Weir, passed away in July, 1945, and his father, Frank Weir, passed away in November, 1923. Both are buried at Hillside Cemetery.
Name of creator
William Weir and Mary Isherwood Weir immigrated to Canada, probably from Utah, and settled in the Millet area in the 1900s. They operated a mixed farm at SW-2-48-25-W4 which they named Lane View Farm. They had at least two children, Arol (or Arral) and Hazel.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of: an autograph album (1899-1904); pocket memorandum (1889); correspondence to Minnie Weir from husband Frank and from Aunt Jessie (1908-1909), to J. Weir from Jas Salmond (1912), to Frank Weiz (sic) from the C.P.R. (1907), and from Tarah Jemus (1897); livestock bills of sale (2) (1907, undated); Northwest Board Rules and Regulations (1940); assorted greeting cards (49) (1892-1903); postcard album (1906-1907); financial ledger (1874-1904); calendars (2) (1907, 1908); 4 photographs of unidentified people in early Medicine Hat.
Immediate source of acquisition
Gift of John Wier Estate, June 2, 1971.
Language of material
- The material is in English.
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Record No. M71.253;M71.261.1-.7;M71.260-.261;M71.250.1-.5;M71.247-.249;P 0205.0001-0004<br><br>