Fonds 0080 - Kleskun Hill School District 3428 fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Kleskun Hill School District 3428 fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA GPR 0080

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1913-1938 (Creation)
    Creator
    Kleskun Hill School District 3428

Physical description area

Physical description

1 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1916-[ca. 1950])

Administrative history

Kleskun Hill School was opened in the spring of 1916 in a tent, as the school house was not complete. For the first years, school was taught from spring through fall, and holidays were during the winter. The first teacher was Miss Sarah Bennett, followed by Miss McColm and Mrs. Wilson. The teacherage at Kleskun was built at the end of World War I, and the first teacher to occupy it was Wesley Sutherland, a war vet with his English war-bride. In the early 20s, a fire destroyed the school and a vacant store building was moved from Clairmont to serve as the school. In 1937, Kleskun Hill School came under the Grande Prairie School Division. Teachers at Kleskun Hill included Jimmy Ald, Alfreda Reavley, F.G. Irwin, Mrs. Nelson, Gwen Stewart, Mr. & Mrs. Black, Delva (Brown) Murchie, Miss E.J. Roberts, Miss L.H. Johnson, Florence (Smith) Wales, Winnifred Willis, Myrtle Tolley, Mrs. M.J. Bickner, Marion Heller, Rhoda Patterson, C.M. McIntosh, and Elaine Fitzpatrick. After 1947, no teachers were available so supervisors were used and children did correspondence lessons. In the early 50s, Kleskun Hill School closed under consolidation and the pupils were vanned to larger school nearby and the school buildings and site were sold.

Custodial history

The District School Board handed in their records to the County of Grande Prairie School Division No. 14. In 1991, the County deposited them on loan with the Provincial Archives, and in 2000 these records were transferred to the Grande Prairie Regional Archives by permanent donation.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of school board minutes from 1929-1938.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

The District School Board handed in their records to the County of Grande Prairie School Division No. 14. In 1991, the County deposited them on loan with the Provincial Archives, and in 2000 these records were transferred to the Grande Prairie Regional Archives by permanent donation.

Arrangement

Language of material

  • The material is in English.

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Associated materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

Accession number: 2000.39

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

0080

Institution identifier

South Peace Regional Archives

Rules or conventions

Level of detail

Partial

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres