Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title from content of fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1953-1973, 1985-1988 (Creation)
- Lake McGregor Memorial Park Association
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Lake McGregor was officially declared a park area in 1953, and the Lake McGregor Memorial Park Association was formed in June of that year by a group of Milo-area citizens who wanted to build a memorial to those who gave their lives in the two world wars. A part undertaking of the Milo Recreation Society, the first president was V.J. Bertrand, and the first secretary, C. L. Johnson. Membership in the Association was set at $1 per family per year. For many years the Association accepted donations of wheat for sale, with the proceeds going to support its activities.
The Milo United Farmers of Alberta contributed $1700 as a starting fund, and local volunteer labour created a park on several acres of prairie grass, extending from the west side of Lake McGregor to the irrigation canal. An early design drawn up by the Department of Municipal Affairs in Edmonton features extensive landscaping around an athletic field, ½ mile race track, 9 hole golf course, playground and swimming beach, and includes a clubhouse, pavilion, grandstand and dance hall. 400 small trees were ordered from the Department of Agriculture in April 1954. Landscaping of the park continued over the years, with 5000 caragana shrubs planted in the early 1960’s, along with 300 poplar trees and 100 elms.
A race meet was proposed in the spring of 1955, and the Sports Day that was held that June laid the groundwork for what was to become a mainstay of Lake McGregor Memorial Park Association funding for almost 20 years. Race Meet activities prompted the construction of many of the Parks buildings and facilities, and in 1961, it was decided that the Annual Race Meet would be best-handled by a committee separate from the Park Board.
A camp kitchen was built in 1957, and a dock in 1959. The provincial Department of Highways built a second kitchen in 1960, and 1961 saw the addition of a main gate and a golf course, which was leased to and operated by a separate organization, the Lake McGregor Golf Club. Funding from the County of Vulcan facilitated the upgrading of playgrounds and toilets, and the Park was available for use for gymkhana’s and other events.
The Lake McGregor Memorial Park Association was often in touch with the Prairie Farm Rehabilitation Administration, particularly regarding issues of lake front access, and as early as 1962, there were discussions about turning the area over to the provincial government for re-designation as a Provincial Park. This issue was revisited many times over the years, particularly as the popularity of the area grew and supervision became of greater concern, but it wasn’t until 1985 that Lake McGregor Park was turned over to the provincial government, and the Lake McGregor Memorial Park Association was officially disbanded.
Scope and content
The fonds has been arranged into the following series: Administration; Race Meet.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
- Lake McGregor Memorial Park Association (Creator)