Fonds 0387 - Lake Saskatoon Agricultural Society fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Lake Saskatoon Agricultural Society fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA GPR 0387

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1930-1931 (Creation)
    Creator
    Lake Saskatoon Agricultural Society

Physical description area

Physical description

1 cm of textual records.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1912-[ca. 1935])

Administrative history

The Beaverlodge and Lake Saskatoon Agricultural Society was founded in 1912, with Esdale Gaudin as the first President and Herman Trelle as the first Secretary-Treasurer. Founding members of the society also included James McFarlane, W. G. Johnson, and A. Sherk and Sons. By 1914 Rede Stone, Paul Flint, Charles McNaught, and W. D. Albright were also involved. The Society held its first fair at Lake Saskatoon in 1912, fall fairs from 1916 to 1931, and seed fairs from 1916 to 1932. In 1919 the Society became the Lake Saskatoon Agricultural Society, giving the Beaverlodge area the legal option to form its own society.The venue of the fairs was changed to Wembley when much of the Lake Saskatoon settlement moved there in 1926. The Lake Saskatoon Agricultural Society became defunct likely in the mid-to-late 1930s.

Custodial history

According to a notation on the front cover of the Entry Book, the records were given to Mrs. Pearl Longson of Beaverlodge by Mr. Abbott of Beaverlodge. Later, the records were donated to Grande Prairie Public Library with the Isabel Campbell collection. In 2008 the Library donated them, as part of the Gerald V. Carveth collection, to South Peace Regional Archives.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of records relating to the operation of the Agricultural Society and the annual exhibition and fair. The records include administrative forms relating to members and accounts for 1930 and 1931, an entry book (ca. 1930), and blank competition entry forms.

The fonds is divided into two series: Administrative records and Competition records.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

In 2008 the Library donated these records, as part of the Gerald V. Carveth collection, to South Peace Regional Archives.

Arrangement

Language of material

  • The material is in English.

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Associated materials

Accruals

No accruals are expected.

Alpha-numeric designations

Accession number: 2008.008

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

0387

Institution identifier

South Peace Regional Archives

Rules or conventions

Level of detail

Partial

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres